Injured my gum with a Tepe :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

skintz

Injured my gum with a Tepe :(

#1 Post by skintz »

I was being a bit hasty and didn't get my smaller Tepe (interdental brush) out to do between my brackets and used my medium sized one..there was one gap that i had to force it through and now my gum's really sore and swollen-so much so, that it seems to be resting on my brackets. I can't see my teeth above the brackets, its just gum. Its kinda making it hard to brush as well cos its so sensitive.
Anyone else had this happen? What do you do?

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

YIKES!

I've not done anything exactly like that, but I have scraped my gum badly with hard food.

Rinse with warm salt water several times over the next few days, take a multi vitamin and try to ignore it.

Our mouths heal quickly and you should be 100% in a day or two. Bet you won't do that again! :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm with Jennie, but would also suggest rinsing with hydrogen peroxide if you have any to hand. It's a mild antiseptic and will help stop any infection getting in there. I wouldn't brush that area either for a day or two, just rinse with peroxide or listerine until the swelling goes down.

Hope it soon feels better! (I'm sure it soon will)

skintz

#4 Post by skintz »

Ah yeah, i've got some hydrogen peroxide...i'll give that a go. I definately won't do it again! It hurts too much! :lol:
Thanks guys

Envy

#5 Post by Envy »

Oh My

skintz

#6 Post by skintz »

I'm just worried about the bits of tooth i can't get to cos of the swelling...i hope it won't cause any decay. Its making my teeth hurt as well which is rubbish :?

Oh, ps. i won't be using listerine anyway cos i find it too drying at the best of times anyway :)

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I wouldn't worry about that area of your tooth. A few days of not brushing there will not cause any long-term damage such aw decay.

Heck, my son would go days or more without brushing at all when he was in college and he still has not a single cavety in his mouth!

When the swelling goes down, brush GENTLY!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm