My extraction story (now with 100% less premolars)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FarewelltoArms

My extraction story (now with 100% less premolars)

#1 Post by FarewelltoArms »

For anyone who is contemplating or awaiting extractions, I've decided to provide you with a first hand account of my sojourn in the dentist's office.

I walk into the office, and the receptionist who greets me is especially genial. I bide my time for a bit with a Rachel Ray cooking magazine until I am beckoned by a nurse, all the while completely obtuse to the horrors which lie within.....

The doctor enters the room with a nonchalant demeanor, and introduces himself with a firm handshake. After an iota of the typical small talk confabulation, he queries as to whether I want to schedule another appointment to do the extractions, take two out today, or extract 4 and be done with it. Me being a smart ass college student, I retort, ''Just 4 for today? I was hoping wisdom teeth too''

He issues a small caveat before commencing, informing me that the injection of the local anesthetic would be the most grueling component of the procedure. One of each bottom pre molar, two for each top one. 6 Injections eh? Five minutes and 6 twinges of pain later, the injections are complete, and like a ham in the oven, he decides to let the juices marinate for a few moments.

In his absence I stare out the window in front of me. Springtime has arrived here in Tallahassee and my eyes take in halcyon sylvan landscape before me. His return jolts me back into reality, and he immediately goes to work. First, he jabs upper and lower pallets with a sharp object, hoping to determine the sensitivity. I writhe in agony when he hits an a still sensitive area, and he quickly apologizes. The injection needle makes a resurgence, and he goes over every area once again. 6 injections has turned into 12. Whatevs, I'm a 19 man, I can handle this.

Out of his arsenal of tools comes what can be only described as ''pliers with pernicious intent'', and eyes widen slightly at the sight of them. ''Start with the toughest, end with the easiest''. He elaborates on this and explains that the upper premolars are anchored by two roots, while the lower ones are bound only by one. Following this parcel of fun fact-age, he clamps onto what on the soon to be his maxillary premolars.

Its hard to describe what thoughts raced through my mind as he yanked. I remembered wondering though, damn they used to do this without numbing agents back in the day. Those dudes were insane. Even with anesthetic, it hurt. The pliers supply him with preternatural leverage, allowing him to really go to town on the teeth, so to speak.

Anyway, this post has gone on long enough, if enough people enjoy reading this I will finish it, but the blood loss from the extractions ( I'm writing this with gauze in my mouth) is making me woozy.....

beth1966

Re: My extraction story (now with 100% less premolars)

#2 Post by beth1966 »

[quote="FarewelltoArms"] Its hard to describe what thoughts raced through my mind as he yanked. I remembered wondering though, damn they used to do this without numbing agents back in the day. Those dudes were insane. Even with anesthetic, it hurt. quote]

Not to mention in most modern, oral surgeon offices they also give you anesthesia so you dont have to look or watch OR if you have unfortunately met with an oral surgeon who does not know how to give proper injections and NUMB you completely - you will not be awake therefore you will NOT feel the entire procedure if you are not totally numb!!!!

Seriously - it is sad to read that Tallahassee has not caught up to the current century. LOL. In the northeast part of the country we have conscious sedation and oral surgeons who are able to inject you and you can't feel most of your head for several hours. I have been fortunate enough to experience that just while having a filling or root canal! I wouldn't feel it if they removed all my teeth let alone four.

Sorry couldn't resist! And sorry you went to a surgeon who shouldn't be pulling teeth without knowing how to adequately numb a patient. No excuse for being able to feel a tooth extraction!

Feel better. Oh and I'm having five removed next week - but i've spoken to far too many others who have not experienced (even remotely) your nightmare. I do hope your ortho is better then your OS!

Feel better dude!

Jendz

Extractions... a scary reality (soon-to-be)

#3 Post by Jendz »

I was eager to read your post but quickly became scared because the reality of extractions happens for me next week.

I am so sorry to hear of the pain for Fairwell to Arms during your extraction process, how awful. My dentist keeps telling me that everything will be fine and not to worry- but at this point it is all I can think about. I am having my two pre-molars removed on either side on the top and the very middle tooth on the bottom- I am just terrified of looking 'toothless' and the coping with the comments from people who really should mind their own business. I am hoping to find out a little bit more about the process, what is usually done, is it typically painful?

One of the biggest reasons I am worried is that I have found that some individuals feel that braces automatically give them permission to make comments or statements, at first I ignored it but now my fiestiness is coming out and I find myself quickly retaliating with 'braces make beautiful faces' and 'tin grin is in' and other corny comments to make me feel better and to show them that their opinion ultimately doesn't matter. We are all under construction in some way, shape or form- and those of us with braces or other type of orthodontic appliances are brave enough to show it to the world.

I saw a shirt on e-bay the other day that I just love- it says 'Stainless Steel Sex Appeal'. Go tin grins :D

Katt

#4 Post by Katt »

wow that stinks your extractions didn't go so well. I only had one top premolar extracted but I was so numb she could have taken a baseball bat to my face and I wouldn't have felt it. Next time make sure you speak up when you are having pain.

beth1966

#5 Post by beth1966 »

Katt wrote:wow that stinks your extractions didn't go so well. I only had one top premolar extracted but I was so numb she could have taken a baseball bat to my face and I wouldn't have felt it. Next time make sure you speak up when you are having pain.
Hi Kat - that is the NORM. An oral surgeon should numb you so much that you can't feel a thing - if they don't then THEY did not inject the anesthesia properly.

It is sad that there are people out there practising medicine who cause someone to go through what this individual went through.

I met with my oral surgeon yesteday. I am having a lower molar (tooth just infront of wisdom tooth) extracted next week. He made me feel completely at ease and I am not fearful in the least. I will have IV sedation and novacaine - he already told me my tooth will crumble when he extracts it, so it will require he be certain he gets all of it out.

Anyway - glad your experience was similiar to most others who have teeth removed.

beth1966

Re: Extractions... a scary reality (soon-to-be)

#6 Post by beth1966 »

[quote="Jendz"]
One of the biggest reasons I am worried is that I have found that some individuals feel that braces automatically give them permission to make comments or statements, at first I ignored it but now my fiestiness is coming out and I find myself quickly retaliating with 'braces make beautiful faces' and 'tin grin is in' and other corny comments to make me feel better and to show them that their opinion ultimately doesn't matter. We are all under construction in some way, shape or form- and those of us with braces or other type of orthodontic appliances are brave enough to show it to the world.

Hi - I can't IMAGINE anyone would comment on your braces to you! That is nutty! WOW, I can't wait to get mine cuz if anyone had the nerve to say anything other then positive remarks to me, boy are they in for it!

Not sure where you live - but I live in the Northeast, NY/NJ area - I see adults around here with braces all the time. So I hesitate to think anyone will comment to me.

I hope your experience is the same - and if people are negative to you, that you put them in their place!

Hang in there! :D