Hard to communicate at appointments

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

breda206

Hard to communicate at appointments

#1 Post by breda206 »

Does anyone else plan to say something or discuss something with their ortho only to find that it's very hard to say anything with someone in your mouth the whole time.

I always plan to discuss certain aspects of my treatment and then I get there and then the tech takes off the powerchains and the elastic and then it's open , close, open, close and he scribbles a few notes and then the tech is back in your mouth again...

I find it very frustating and I know the onus is on me to ask questions but so far I find it very difficult while i'm lying back on that chair.

Please people reply to this thread because I really want to know if anyone else experiences this. :(

Twinjoy

#2 Post by Twinjoy »

I was wondering the exact same thing. I read peoples stories about chatting with the techs and I can't find any time too. I also don't because they are all Japanese and communicating in English isn't the easiest for them although on base they do all speak it. Understanding them is often just as hard for me as understanding me is for them. Adding two hands in the mouth makes it impossible. I hate when the orthodontist asks me questions with his hands in my mouth! How does he expect me to answer lol.

pearls

#3 Post by pearls »

I have not been braced yet, but I know exaclty what you mean! I have so many questions I am yet to ask my ortho before being braced, but I find it hard to either remember what I need to say, or find the time to talk to him about my questions when he's all fiddeling with my mouth! I can understand why you feel frustrated!

I am definately going to try to talk more to him next appointment, so he can finally answer my questions.
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

skyhawk

#4 Post by skyhawk »

Write down all your questions on a scrap of paper before the appointment. When you sit down in the chair, take the paper out and put it on your stomach, so you won't forget to ask the questions.

You can even tell the tech/ortho that you have this piece of paper with questions on it, and to not let you forget to ask them.

I'm terrible at remembering things. Absolutely terrible. I have a pad of scratch paper at my desk, so I can jot a question down as soon as I think of it. I'm not braced yet, but in my case, once I had a sufficient number of questions, I called the ortho's office and got answers for everything.

ReneG

#5 Post by ReneG »

While waiting for my turn I review my questions and think about any more I may have. When I go in, I wait for his questions, answer them, then ask all my questions. I do not let my ortho proceed until I'm ready. Yes, there are appointments where I see that he gets impatient and just wants to get to work, but I realise that when he starts, after he's done, it's adios and I'm too preoccupied with what happened with my teeth to ask any questions then.
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

I have minor vertigo. When my ortho starts to ask questions I sit upright. I ask my questions before I lay back down. I also plan my questions ahead of time. If possible I'll research it before hand, sometimes by asking members of this group.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

adultbraces

#7 Post by adultbraces »

I feel exactly the same way, my tech try to be very nice but her answers are pretty much general and she'd have to ask the orthdontinst for the specific questions. And when my orthodontinst comes I'm already on my back and she's doing her thing in my mouth and tech finishes off so by the time when I'm up on my chair again, the doctor is working on someone elese already. And she come and take a quick glance over my teeth.. Their gesture don't appear like they want to enage in disucussion. One questions asked, they're ready to answer with no answer being asked again.
I do go there with tons of questions but I'm always ended up with 20% of my questions are asked and answered.
They must have some idea like "we are doing everything correct and it's all come out okay at the end no matter what your bite are like now , just waiti and see.."

breda206

#8 Post by breda206 »

Thanks for all your replies everyone, I am not alone! :P

*melissa*

#9 Post by *melissa* »

you are not alone!!!!!! i have also been wondering what to do about this!

phae

#10 Post by phae »

I know the feeling!

So far, when I've had questions, I've found it helpful to mention it to the assistant, and she puts the bug in the ortho's ear. Once I do get to asking, he's always fantastic with answers, and even tends to milk me to ask questions I didn't realize I had! :D
>.<

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. -- Isaac Asimov

insinu8

#11 Post by insinu8 »

I have tried to deal with this a couple of times. Each time it depends on who is working on/with me.

You are right though...they get in there and THEN they want to talk to you! It's like some kind of joke that they are obliged to play with every patient.

I usually have one or two questions I want/need answered right off the bat. I make sure I ask before I lie down. Then, after they are done, I start talking again :)

Try this...don't leave the seat until you've got your questions and answers. I think it drives them nuts when I do that. They look at me like, "Why is he still sitting there?" Since they can't seat anyone else in the chair until you leave, you now have control. Use it! :)
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

OverJetSet

#12 Post by OverJetSet »

i email with my ortho. this has pluses & minuses, of course, but she can then answer when it suits her (and she is prompt!). her first reply usually sets off a new set of questions but we get everything answered in a few rounds -- until a few weeks later!

donna

XCrun&ride

#13 Post by XCrun&ride »

I have that problem too, and also I'm always surprised when they expect me to answer questions with their hands in my mouth! :roll: :lol: