Deciduous Premolars; ortho will shave 'em down. Comments?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Neptune

Deciduous Premolars; ortho will shave 'em down. Comments?

#1 Post by Neptune »

Hey everyone!

I've been thoroughly informed by EVERYONE on this forum. I'm literally addicted to this site now (after only a few weeks), as it's helped me out so much on the road to straight teeth. Nervousness and subsequent hesitation has an amazing capacity to wear you down...

My issue is this: I have two lower premolars that were never replaced with permanent teeth. The result of this is zero overjet and zero overbite. Over time, these deciduous teeth formed cavities and are now filled. Upon visiting my orthodontist for consult, he stated that he did not want to extract the two teeth because they seemed stable enough. Instead, he wanted to shave them down so that the at least take up the space of a permanent premolar. I went along with this plan because I had no interest in having ANYTHING extracted.

But now I'm hesitating due to fear of "What if...?" The concern lies with what will I do if one or both teeth fall out at any point in this process. Implants are an option, but from perusing this forum, it seems that it's possible to extract ONLY those two deciduous lower teeth WITHOUT extracting a matching upper set. The molars would simply be brought forward. Is this a possibility? All feedback will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Premolar references on MMB:
cersepn (viewtopic.php?t=25161)
kaycee (viewtopic.php?t=25297)
08 Apr 2008 - Front teeth braced.
30 Aug 2010 - New bracket brand placed on upper four incisors.

Initial Ortho Sentence: 18-20 months.

ArchAngle

#2 Post by ArchAngle »

:shock: I have that also, @ over 40 on the lower jaw :shock:

1. I had an oral surgeon determine the roots have about 2 years left in them before the teeth finally fall out.

2. I am still to be braced at the bottom and we decided to bypass them (not bracket / attach them). 2 years time is when the braces come off, if and when they do fall out, implants will go in and will be positioned to match everything. Not particularly interested right now to extract them as its something like year to heal for implants plus you have to quit smoking in order to have them :wink:

Not sure what you mean about shaving them down, mine are pretty much below the surrounding teeth anyway, not even close to touching the tops. Also not clear on extraction and moving you mention.

Go to an oral surgeon, have them determine the life expectancy, not sure what other options there are other than bypassing them when being braced, when they do eventually fall out replace them with implants.

As it stands being on the bottom they don't bother in looks and they don't affect the treatment of everything else. Should they not fall out at all, I will just leave them be.

Is there something else you are having? extractions or something, the shaving down and molar moving foward just because of these two at the bottom is unclear to me.

1. have an oral surgeon determine how long they think
2. bypass them in ortho
3. if not necessary to shave them don't, (if they don't affect the treatment at all), just in case they never do fall out

Luella

#3 Post by Luella »

Neptune- I'm also missing my second lower bicuspids (premolars). Mine were extracted years ago in anticipation of having implants placed. However, when I got my braces off when I was around 13, they didn't want to place implants until I was about 16 (so my jaw was done growing). Between 13 and 16 I stopped wearing my retainer, and lost the spaces. (See my story- there are pictures and x rays) So here I am again getting braces so I can get the implants to replace the missing teeth. Okay, now to get to the point! I have no problem leaving them until they fall out, but I wouldn't let the ortho do any work on them- why spend money on the look of them if they aren't going to last you forever! And, if you see an oral surgeon to estimate the life span of those teeth, please keep in mind that the OS doesn't have a crystal ball and he could be dead on or dead wrong! Now, about moving the molars forward to replace them instead of keeping the spaces and putting in implants- ask the ortho or OS or whoever about the upper teeth- particularly the last ones (second molars). If an upper tooth is unopposed (no tooth on the bottom directly under it for it to chew against) it will super-erupt (grow out slowly of the upper jaw) and will eventually need to be extracted. That is why I'm going with the implants- I don't want to lose my upper second molars- I'm only 23 and I plan on doing a lot of chewing with those teeth still! I hope that explanation made sense!

And ArchAngle- You don't HAVE to quit smoking to have them placed, but it is better if you do quit. Some OS won't guarantee the implants or will edit the guarantee for a smoker, so ask about that. The Drs I work for have the same guarantee either way!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

Jex

#4 Post by Jex »

Ooooh, Neptune, I never even thought of that! I have the same situation, but unfortunately for me, it's only on one side, so there's a big difference between the size of each premolar. I know my bite won't be ideal, but the ortho sees no reason to pull the baby tooth. I don't have my lowers yet (May 30th), but I'll be interested to see if he puts a bracket on that one. It never occurred to me that they could make the circumference smaller. (then again, mine is mostly made up of filling and would fall apart!) I don't think I'd want that done, though. I'd hate to mess with the integrity of the enamel, you know? That's just my thoughts.

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!

Neptune

IPR on a Deciduous Tooth...Comments?

#5 Post by Neptune »

It turns out that the appropriate term for the procedure I'm talking about (shaving teeth) is known as IPR (Interproximal Reduction). Has anyone done this on a deciduous tooth?
08 Apr 2008 - Front teeth braced.
30 Aug 2010 - New bracket brand placed on upper four incisors.

Initial Ortho Sentence: 18-20 months.

Luella

#6 Post by Luella »

Neptune- Looks like Gennel had IPR done today- how weird! Here's the link to her post- viewtopic.php?t=26086
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified