Braces in a tanning booth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracednconfused

Braces in a tanning booth

#1 Post by bracednconfused »

This might be a silly question, but surely not one I've seen on the board since I've joined.

Anyone been in a tanning booth with braces? I'm just wondering if its something I should avoid or if having metal brackets in your mouth affects tanning in a salon in any way. I'll probably just check with the ortho to make sure, but I was just looking to see if anyone has had any significant experience with this.

landela

#2 Post by landela »

I wouldn't see it being a problem. I'd probably just turn off the face lamp.
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

BoSox2008

#3 Post by BoSox2008 »

I've been tanning a few times since I got braces a year ago and didn't notice any unwanted effects. Also - keep in mind all the teenage girls with braces who tan before proms!! They still look fine (although unnaturally brown) to me : )

estar

good question

#4 Post by estar »

i was thinking about buying some minutes, i am in a wedding soon. not once did i think about my braces in the tanning bed. lol.

*melissa*

#5 Post by *melissa* »

i do it and it's fine lol :D

bracednconfused

#6 Post by bracednconfused »

good to know
thanks to all :)

catfish

#7 Post by catfish »

I never thought about a problem with a tanning bed. I was really concerned when I had to have an MRI, though. Since it's basically a very strong magnet, I wondered if it would pull my teeth out!!!! It didn't - I was fine.

:-#)
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

leftyme

#8 Post by leftyme »

I'd worry a thousand times more about SKIN CANCER than braces in a tanning salon.

Sorry, I've had three precancerous spots removed and my uncle had a melanoma. It's not fun.

I know you didn't come for a lecture on tanning but it's really really bad for you.

OK off soap box...

tortor

#9 Post by tortor »

leftyme wrote:I'd worry a thousand times more about SKIN CANCER than braces in a tanning salon.

Sorry, I've had three precancerous spots removed and my uncle had a melanoma. It's not fun.

I know you didn't come for a lecture on tanning but it's really really bad for you.

OK off soap box...
I must agree with leftyme a million times!!

I am a former "tanaholic" who used to use tanning booths way too much. Sure I had a nice tan, but in no way was it healthy. I have had many suspicious moles removed and fortunately, all were cancer free. However, not everyone is as lucky and who knows what consequences my tanning habit will bring in the future. You can still get skin cancer even if you tan easily!

Find a sunless tanning product that works for you. I use them now and I get compliments on my tan (yes its possible to use sunless tanners and not be orange :) )

I dont mean to lecture but cancer is obviously something I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy. and skin cancer is the deadliest kind.

bracednconfused

#10 Post by bracednconfused »

Tanning is just something I do maybe two or three times a month during the summer.

I was just wondering if the metal would interfere with the lamps or anything of that sort. Good point with the MRI, catfish.

Everything in moderation.

*melissa*

#11 Post by *melissa* »

leftyme wrote:Find a sunless tanning product that works for you. I use them now and I get compliments on my tan (yes its possible to use sunless tanners and not be orange :) )
Please tell me what the best, natural looking sunless tanning product is...I usually depise these products because I always manage to turn an orangey color every time :(

tortor

#12 Post by tortor »

*melissa* wrote:
leftyme wrote:Find a sunless tanning product that works for you. I use them now and I get compliments on my tan (yes its possible to use sunless tanners and not be orange :) )
Please tell me what the best, natural looking sunless tanning product is...I usually depise these products because I always manage to turn an orangey color every time :(
Melissa,
I use Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer for body and face in medium/tan skin tone:
http://www.jergens.com/Our_Collection/P ... roductID=8

I also use Neutrogena Sun Fresh sunless foam. I've read some mixed reviews on it, but it works for me, smells good and dries quickly. It is clear so it doesnt leave bronzer on your clothes. The color seemed to develop in a few days:
http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/200805/o ... _208.jhtml
(even Oprah likes it lol)

bracedintx

#13 Post by bracedintx »

I'm pretty fair-skinned and I found that the jergens tanner left me looking a tad orange.
I tried mystic tan last month. It was a bit streaky in a couple of inconspicuous places but gave good overall coverage and a nice colour. I think it costs about the same as using the tanning beds, but I've never used one so I'm not positive :roll:
self-ligating metal brackets all around

*melissa*

#14 Post by *melissa* »

bracedintx wrote: I tried mystic tan last month. It was a bit streaky in a couple of inconspicuous places but gave good overall coverage and a nice colour. I think it costs about the same as using the tanning beds, but I've never used one so I'm not positive :roll:
I tried mystic tan last weekend...omg, it looked so fake lol!! They say it wont come off on your clothes, but it totally did and left marks where my parts of my clothes rubbed it off, (bra area, sandle marks for example..) I was stuck with it all this past week!!

laurahalvey

#15 Post by laurahalvey »

leftyme wrote:I'd worry a thousand times more about SKIN CANCER than braces in a tanning salon.

OK off soap box...
I have to agree. I just lost my sister to melanoma...she never tanned or sunburned in her life. She wasn't even 39 yrs old. I refuse to tan or go in the sun without sunblock. The only color on me will be the ligs and PCs on my braces :D
Braced for the third time.....

final adjustment 8/21 and debanding 8/27!