question on gaps and elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ava

question on gaps and elastics

#1 Post by Ava »

Hi everyone! wow it's been a while since Ive been on here.
I've had my braces over 10 months now (estimated time 18 to 24 mnths) and I have to say it is the bes decision ive ever made for myself!! Also been flying along which is just great without too many hiccups along the way (touch wood!)

Anyway onto my question.. before i had braces, as many of you know would also know, I needed extractions. I had 4 teeth removed. They were the 1st bicuspids, both of the top and both of the bottom. (the teeth next to the eye teeth in otherwords). I've had elastics since day one and the bottom have almost closed completely which is great (my bottom jaw was very crowded before braces) however the top are taking alot more time.

Although there is a significant sign of change and movement, there is still a significant gap that you can see when I smile. I'm not really complaining, as I know this is a long treatment and you must be patient, I was just wondering if there was anyone out there with similar stories who could tell me how long it took for their tooth gaps to close, just out of interest :)

Thanks,
Ava

peach

#2 Post by peach »

Hi Ava. I got the same teeth removed in March and started powerchains and elastics in May. I'm feeling a little restless too since I've had my braces for a year now! I've noticed a little bit of movement for closing the gaps on the bottom but those top teeth don't seem to be doing much. I suppose there is some type of movement up there but I can't tell. I really wish the process was a little quicker since part of the reason I got braces was to close 2 small gaps I already had in my upper arch. Now I have to wait for 4 gaps to close on the top and two on the bottom. :roll: Best of Luck to you.

florencegal

#3 Post by florencegal »

Hi there Ava, so glad to hear you're loving your braces experience! It is a great decision to have made for your health and wellbeing - be proud.

I had the same premolars removed and can say that after 19 months my final gap has pretty much finally closed over the last few days! All four gaps closed quite a bit - maybe about 50% - in the first 6-8 months (sorry, I'm a bit hazy on dates and times now, looking back over everything) but after that it has been really quite slow. I think the first of the gaps closed 100% after perhaps 12 months, the next two a few months later and the fourth has just taken its own good time :lol: It's taken elastics, wire loops and some crazy extra ligs with wires attached reaching forward onto extra posts alongside my canines to close it but we got there in the end (I really wish I had a digital camera to show you guys what I've got going on back there!)

Everyone is different and I'm sure others will post to say their gaps closed in 2 months, 1 year, 18 months, 2 years... I hope you see progress soon but I'm sure the gaps aren't even half as noticeable as you fear they are. Smile proudly and rest assured those gaps WILL close and will soon be a long-distant memory :D

Take care