rash on my face -> new wires and latex free elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

platinum

rash on my face -> new wires and latex free elastics

#1 Post by platinum »

I have developed somekind of rash on my face, around my mouth. I have some dry spots before, but now it is getting worse.

I have nickel free brackets and normal stainless steel wires. Just wondering that if I was supposed to got this rash from nickel it should have stricken me already. I have worn elastics for a long time, too.

The weird thing is that I dont have any problems inside my mouth, only the skin around my mouth is irritated.

Just asking if someone has had similar problems.
Last edited by platinum on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catfish

#2 Post by catfish »

I sometimes get redness and irritation around my mouth after an adjustment. I'm assuming it's the gloves they wear. It seems to be worse if they are yanking on my lips a lot. Did your rash appear after you had something done to your mouth?
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Agree with catfish and Meryaten. Also, have you changed your toothpaste or mouthwash? I find some toothpastes irritate the skin round my mouth.

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

Thanks for answers!

I think I have burned my lips and face, because of the hot weather. I have to follow what happens...

pippy

#5 Post by pippy »

Hi platinum. I thought I had sunburn on my face...as it was peeling. Then I thought maybe it was because I had been helping put out a bushfire on a farm and thought the heat and dryness might have caused it. But it got worse next time I had an adjustment. Turned out I had a sever latex allergy (ie to the gloves they wear). ASked them to change to non latex...and have not had a problem since.

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

Thanks pippy!

I will go today to ortho because it seems that the rash is not going away.
I did not wear elastics for couple of days, but the rash is not going away.

I read that even though stainless steel wires should not release nickel, it can happen when is corrosion happening. I have had same wires for a long time.

platinum

#7 Post by platinum »

I went to ortho today, and he seemed to agree that the rash around my mouth is propably caused by my braces.

They changed my archwires to new ones. I also got latex free elastics even though I havent any history with latex allergy. This was just to exlude possible causes of my rash.

I still have stainless steel molar bands. And if my rash do not disappear they will replace them with nickel free molar tubes.

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

hope it helps and your rash soon goes Nina.

platinum

#9 Post by platinum »

The rash is really going away!!!!

I feel so much better now. I quite sick with my rash, I felt dizzy and somehow felt that my throat was smaller. My boyfriend said that I looked sick, but he thought I was just tired. Now I feel so fresh and I have loads of energy.