The novelty is starting to wear off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Danielle

The novelty is starting to wear off

#1 Post by Danielle »

I've been in braces for nearly two years now and I can firmly say the novelty is starting to wear off... anyone else in the same boat? I mean braces have made drastic improvements to my smile and I don't regret my decision on any level... but it's getting old, you know? The time consuming brushing, flossing, elastics, appointments, etc. I don't want to complain because like I said I am seeing results and the whole experience is nowhere near the torture I thought it would be when I was a kid. I guess, it's just no longer a new discovery all the time. Like I got a new this or that added to my treatment or this has improved. If anything as of late I'm seeing a gap right in the front, a shifting midline (but not in the good way) and a lot of "more of the same" meaning that nothing else is really changing (noticeably) for the better.

On the major plus side--spending the last little while reading about everyone else's progress has been really positive. And I know I'm not the only one out there that's ready end the braces journey... at least I don't think I am. :wink:
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I was planning on wanting perfection from these things, but now I'm just wanting them OFF. Also dealing with the same little minor not-good changes that are just getting old and depressing.

catfish

#3 Post by catfish »

I'm right there with ya! Danielle - you are more patient than me. I'm only a year into it and I'm tired of them already. I still have a year to go. The main thing that makes me tired of them is the irritation to the inside of my cheeks and lips. It comes and goes, and when it's here it's a pain to keep applying wax. I have trouble with the wax because my fingertips are so rough and dry. The wax wants to stick to my fingers instead of my brackets. So that gets old after a while...

But I agree that it is worth all of this to get the benefits to our teeth! No regrets here, just weariness.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

TheGreatDebater

#4 Post by TheGreatDebater »

I know what you mean! I haven't even had mine in a year and a half, and am hoping to get them off before November for sure. My teeth are incredibly nice and straight, sure. But there's nothing else really great happening. I have few gaps left, so there aren't any new space-closure developments to make me feel like they're doing much anymore. But reading the stories on here have really encouraged me to keep on for the end result. =)

I really don't have that much irritation anymore, but sometimes I'll accidentally bite the inside of my cheek and my brackets will catch on to it and it gets really painful! The most annoying part is having to keep up with the maintenance and the effect they've had on my speech. My articulation was bad before them (I'm thinking it might've been from the way my teeth were, but that's just a guess), and adding in all of the extras didn't really help. I'm trying to 'keep my eye on the goal' though! I know this won't be something I'll regret in twenty years.

lillibut

#5 Post by lillibut »

Phew!! Other people who feel like me!!

I was initially told I would have to wear my braces for 18 months. A few appointments ago i was informed it will be closer to 2 years.

ARRRGGHH!! I just want them off!!

I totally agree they have made HUGE improvements to my smile and I don't regret getting them at all.

Like you guys I am just bored of being careful about what I eat (green leafy things are a no no!) and the cleaning routine I have to endure every time I put something in my mouth.

Plus.. even though adjustments are being made, within the past few months my teeth haven't really moved.

Hey ho. Lets think positive people. We WILL be smiling with pearly whites soon and braces will be a distant memory.

x

acd

#6 Post by acd »

I was fine until my son got his braces off a few weeks ago and now I can't wait to get mine off as well. Luckily it looks like I should be getting them off sometime in November which is my two year mark so everything seems to be on track.

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'm at month 15 almost 16 and I do want these things off.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

I'm at the 22 month mark.....I can't say I want them off but the novelty is gone. They're just part of life. Sorta how I felt about glasses. Of course I did do Lasik. :lol:

I still see progress which is good. If I ever get to the fine tuning phase, I'll probably go nuts. I'm a bit worried about September. That will be my 24 month mark, in which if I had not decided to do surgery, I should have been wire free. Now I figure I'm at least a year away. THEN no carmel apple will be safe!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Danielle

#9 Post by Danielle »

It looks like I'm in good company. :wink:

I feel like a kid waiting for my birthday or Christmas. Well, okay, maybe that's not completely accurate--I still look forward to those two! But something tells me getting my braces off (along with the Zoom! teeth whitening that will come with it) will be better than my birthday and Christmas combined! :wink:
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

dojo

#10 Post by dojo »

I think it's a normal feeling, we all get it. Just hang on there, the hardest part is over. And in no time you'll be "free" and you'll see it was worth it ;)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

diande

#11 Post by diande »

right with you all on this one!

i got my braces the same week as iborg i think and so I'm at 22 months as well. my braces come off in 8 days now, on 15th August.

i see things that still need to be perfected but i dont even want to fight anymore, i just want them off.

my ortho told me last month that in addition to the bonded retainers on the front six teeth (which i was always carded to have), she will be giving me upper hawleys to wear at night (she didn't tell me but i know it's because of the obvious imperfections: my left side upper and lower teeth don't close together properly and though i mentioned it a long time ago, she only told me to wear my elastics in a box configuration 6 weeks ago towards correcting this)

i am happy with everything except my choice of Ortho overall, and this left side alignment issue. ok, so those are big deals, and my Ortho is above average expensive, but at this point, i just dont want to fight anymore. i am trusting the retainers to work it out.

:roll:
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months