Wire came out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carot

Wire came out

#1 Post by Carot »

Have braces on 4 weeks going for my first ajustment on 1 week of September

the main wire has come out of the tube or pipe on my back molar tooth on the upper left row AND the bottom lower right , i can fiddle around with it in
my mouth ...is this normal? or should i ring the Ortho?? or wait until September..i remember when i got them on he said the back Molars dont matter that much ..

Thanks
Gareth

landela

#2 Post by landela »

I had this happen when I first got braces, my ortho told me if I could guide it back through the tube to do that. If that didn't work to just set it on top of the bracket and they'd deal with it next adjustment. I say, try getting it back in the tube, and if you can't, call the ortho and see what they want you to do.
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

I had this happen after eating some crispy bruschetta that I shouldn't have been eating. LOL Lucky for me the wire was pliable enough to set back in the tube with my fingers. I say try to put the wire back in the tube if you can. If you can't, I would call the ortho.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

jaswi

#4 Post by jaswi »

I agree with trying to put it back in the tube. If its your first wire it should be really thin and flexible so it shouldn't be too hard.

TigerLily

#5 Post by TigerLily »

I had this happen a handful of times, my ortho later told me it happens with the softer flexible wires that you have at the beginning when you either have hard food or take mouthfuls which are too big (she said that these wires have give, later on down the line, the harder wires wouldn't have the same flexibility so the pressure would go on the brackets...).

I managed to get it back in 2 out of the 4 times, with the aid of tweezers and lots of contortion! Another time, I had a 2 min appointment with my ortho and the last time, my dentist put it back in (my ortho works at the dentist's office but only once a week). I guess I may have been able to put it back in but unlike the first two times, these incidents happened during the week so it was easy to get into the office quickly.

I learnt my lesson and am being a lot more careful what I eat now! I am now on the harder wires as well and I certainly don't want to risk a bracket.