Broken bracket

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

superflyguy

Broken bracket

#1 Post by superflyguy »

Hi, I have had my upper braces on for one week, the lower ones for about four months or so. After the first meal I ate after having the upper ones fixed one of my brackets broke off. It was only a bit of chicken breast and I had to wait a week before I could have the bracket repaired, having had a new one stuck on earlier today, again I have eaten some chicken breast and the same bracket has snapped off again. :x

I can tell that the position of my teeth change slightly when everything is attached as it should be because they feel so different once the bracket is off. I'm not sure if my teeth are catching or if it is the food.

Now my question is this, is there an alternative fitting that can be used to keep the archwire in place or an different method of fixing to using adhesive. The brackets I have are the 'bog-standard' metal ones that the NHS in the UK uses. Nothing fancy like ceramic or precious metal. Ultimately, I will end up with surgery to correct the position of my upper palate.

On my back teeth there are bands rather than brackets, can something like this be used insted of a bracket. The last thing I want is for the bracket to keep snapping off every time I have something to eat. I don't think I could face spending the next couple of years just eating soup and pureed food. :D

catfish

#2 Post by catfish »

How strange that you keep losing the same bracket. I wonder why? It would be worth asking your ortho about this. I'm curious if it's a bad batch of adhesive, or the position of your tooth, or...???

The only alternative to adhesive that I'm aware of would be the metal bands. But I'm no expert, so there may be other options. Good luck with this, and let us know what your ortho does next.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

CactusZAF

#3 Post by CactusZAF »

I feel for you, I had one bracket that came off of the same tooth five times in the first seven months of treatment! I swear some teeth have more bond resistant enamel than others (just my opinion) because the tooth involved has not been crowned or anything.
On the brighter side, my "problem" tooth/bracket have now been stuck together for five months, so hopefully yours will also settle down soon.
Best of luck :wink: .