[PICS] 5 months into my quad helix expander

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zipp

[PICS] 5 months into my quad helix expander

#1 Post by Zipp »

Hi Guys,

I'm 27 years old and five months into treatment. I have to wear my quad helix expander for another 6 weeks and then I start on Invisalign. I am already more confident when I smile. The gap might not get much better due to the way my jaw is positioned - but at least my teeth will be straight in the end. I had my doubts that an expander would work as an adult but so far so good. While the quad helix hasn't been that bad to wear, I cannot wait until it's removed.

August 13, 2008

January 23, 2009

trw2

expander

#2 Post by trw2 »

hello i see that you have an expandeer and was just wondering if you needed surgery along with it? also how was it to wear? i was told i would probabl need to wear one during my treatment thanks for any reply trw2

Zipp

Re: expander

#3 Post by Zipp »

trw2 wrote:hello i see that you have an expandeer and was just wondering if you needed surgery along with it? also how was it to wear? i was told i would probabl need to wear one during my treatment thanks for any reply trw2
Nope, no surgery.

I'll admit, the first week was bad. It was difficult to eat and I was lisping terribly. After about the second week my speech improved a lot and eating was back to normal. I'd say it took a full month before I felt my voice was 100%. However, I don't think other people noticed the lisping - you are more critical of your own voice. The expander will do it's job well, at first you will hate it, but you will quickly get used to it. Remembering that it's a means to an end, and how great things will look when your treatment is over, will make things a little easier. Good luck!

chicklets

#4 Post by chicklets »

Wow, what a difference already, Zipp!!!!! I had my expander for 6 months, and it worked well, but I never got used to talking or eating with it.
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

Zipp

#5 Post by Zipp »

chicklets wrote:Wow, what a difference already, Zipp!!!!! I had my expander for 6 months, and it worked well, but I never got used to talking or eating with it.
Looks like mine will come out at about 6.5 months - I'm not only counting the days I'm counting the hours until it's removed!

junkee

#6 Post by junkee »

wow your progress looks amazing already! I'm also 27 and about to begin the same treatment as you, quad-helix for 6 months and then invisalign. I'm really really nervous about the expander. I'm not sure how i'll be able to deal with the speech thing. Did you have to take any time off work? Did you find yourself having to explain the lisp to everyone. I heard there will be a lot of spitting drooling the first week and i can't imagine going into the office like that.

Zipp

#7 Post by Zipp »

junkee wrote:wow your progress looks amazing already! I'm also 27 and about to begin the same treatment as you, quad-helix for 6 months and then invisalign. I'm really really nervous about the expander. I'm not sure how i'll be able to deal with the speech thing. Did you have to take any time off work? Did you find yourself having to explain the lisp to everyone. I heard there will be a lot of spitting drooling the first week and i can't imagine going into the office like that.
I called in sick two days when I had the quad helix "installed." No one seemed to notice my lisp, I think I was my hardest critic. Give it two weeks and it'll be old hat. There's relatively no pain, in the beginning your tongue will get irritated but it'll get used to the metal wires. I don't recall my mouth generating more saliva than usual. I really think 2-3 weeks is the break in period. After that your voice is back to normal, eating is simple, and your tongue is used to the apparatus. The orthodontist may try to sugar coat it, but I want to be as honest as possible. Let us know how things turn out!