The Gap...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceasourus

The Gap...

#1 Post by braceasourus »

Hey Everyone!

So i got my expander put in on Jan 20th, today is feb 11 so its been 3 weeks. I have what seems like a gaint gap in my two front teeth...like big enough that i can feel my top lip through it. I have love hate relationship with the gap. For one I am happy its there and i know the expander is working...however it looks sooo bad. My teethe are so so crowded so now i have crowding and a huge space. Its just embarressing. I work in the music business and people tend to be extra cruel and jugmental. Anyways my question is how long did it take for you guys for the gap to close with braces? My appointment with the ortho is next tuesday and they told me if all looks good they will fit me for my braces then! yay...fingers crossed.just curiously how much longer i have to go on with the big space.

Thanks everyone!! :D

danish

#2 Post by danish »

hi braceasourus,

Even without expander it's normal that gaps show up/disappear throughout treatment. Especially in the beginning where you will see a lot of movement. The only thing that will effectively prevent a gap in the front teeth is if your ortho wire them up so that they can't move apart. Being at the beginning of your treatment I think that it's unlikely that your ortho will do that simply because your teeth need to be better aligned first.
Although I didn't have the expander experience my front teeth also moved a lot in the beginning and 2-3 months in my treatment 1-2 mm gap came out of nowhere which looked a bit funny. I had this gap for some months until my ortho wired my 2 front teeth making gaps impossible.

be patient b/c the gap is only temporary. Good luck with the braces! :thumbsup:

Danish
metal braces on: 4 Oct 2007
Tx for: crowding
debonded on: 24 Jun 2009

total treatment time: 629 days

my journey ==> http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

crazybeautiful

#3 Post by crazybeautiful »

The gap should close fairly quickly once you have stopped expanding. When I had SARPE my gap wasn't huge, but it was there- and went within a week after I stopped turning the expander (sans braces). You'll just have to wait and see. And if it doesn't close on its own your ortho will sort it out :wink:

I know it's a pain, but just think how good your teeth will look once they're all straightened out and not crowded!

In the meantime, embrace the gap! :GapToothed:
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

braceasourus

#4 Post by braceasourus »

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for the advice and words of encouragement! I know I just need to wait it out I just get impatient =/

In the end no matter how much this suck I know the end results will be awesome!

crazybeautiful

#5 Post by crazybeautiful »

How much are you expanding? I had SARPE surgery not just an expander, but the reuslts were soooo good! :D
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

braceasourus

#6 Post by braceasourus »

The ortho didn't tell me exactly how much he wanted my jaw to expand. I am turning once a day for 30 days. As i said the gap is pretty big now so i am hoping thats good news.