OOPS what did I just eat?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starzz

OOPS what did I just eat?

#1 Post by starzz »

Today for breakfast, I had coffee, bagel and cream cheese and swallowed an elastic! :o

After brushing my teeth on a day when I got new stronger wires, I found a piece of something hard in my mouth that I nearly swallowed. I thought might be food? I spit it out and it was the bracket that came off my back top molar! :yikes:

What have you eaten during treatment? :-88
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

Ivette

#2 Post by Ivette »

Hehe :) Was the elastic at least delicious? :wink:

starzz

#3 Post by starzz »

All I tasted was the bagel :D I was so happy that my teeth were not so sore being almost 4 weeks since last adjustment that I could enjoy a nice chewy, wholegrain bagel. :banana:
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

crazybeautiful

#4 Post by crazybeautiful »

The only thing I've eaten so far is some wax. I nearly ate a spacer through the fault of my ortho because she was taking it out and dropped it (choking a patient to death is not something good to put on the CV!)

I don't avoid any foods though, so I think I'm doing pretty well so far because all my brackets remain intact :)
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

Andromeda

#5 Post by Andromeda »

At one point my ortho glued something called buttons to the inside of one lower molar so I could use an elastic from the inside of that tooth to the outside of a top molar. Anyway, the buttons were small pieces of metal, just small enough that they could fit two of them on one molar. They said they used two in case one came off. Well less than a week later after a meal I went to brush and found only one button left. I had swallowed it without knowing. So about two weeks later it happened again - I swallowed the other buton during a meal without knowing until I went to brush and all that was left was the glue on my tooth!

I scheduled an appt to get more put on but they said the tooth had moved enough that I didn't have to. They just sanded off the glue and sent me on my way. I've never lost a bracket even while eating super hard crutons and stuff, so those buttons must be prone to coming off easily...

Andromeda

#6 Post by Andromeda »

Oh yea, I totally have eaten a TON of wax also! I don't use wax much anymore as I'm a year into treatment so my mouth is pretty used to the poking and rubbing... but towards the beginning I used to use it all the time and I'd always forget it was in there. Then I'd be eating and be like, oops...

Rachel B

#7 Post by Rachel B »

A lig.
I didn't notice tho.

Rach x :D

thisisme

#8 Post by thisisme »

Nothing yet, or nothing that I'm aware of. :lol:

catfish

#9 Post by catfish »

Wax, for sure. I've had several brackets come off, and fortunately I spit them all out. I'm glad I didn't swallow them. I'm even more glad I didn't break a tooth by biting on one! One came off while I was eating scrambled eggs. They're pretty mushy, so I wasn't chewing too gingerly. I really chomped down on that bracket!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

CactusZAF

#10 Post by CactusZAF »

I've once swallowed a broken off piece of archwire. I didn't even feel it break off, so it must have just gone down with my food!