Cost?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

magster

Cost?

#1 Post by magster »

Im just curious...

what was/is the cost for your treatment?
how many consultations did you have with orthos?
what were some of the other prices that they gave?

My cost $4,500 - NOT BAD AT ALL. I am QUITE happy with it.

4 consultations overall - 1st one priced at $7,500
2nd one priced at $3,850
3rd one priced at $4,500
4th one priced at $6,000

All ortho's were within a 10-15 mile radius of each other.. the one that priced it at 7.5K was downtown in the city (im from the subburbs)
he had all this HI tech computers evertything etc... the one I went with has the omputers/technology but overall the office and the employees just seemed sooo nice and caring :) also, he did my boyfriends braces 10 years ago and his whole family (he comes from a family with 5 kids)

sdawdy

#2 Post by sdawdy »

I only had 1 consult and was very happy with the entire staff and the ortho. I listened to my gut feelings. So, far it was/has been correct. My insurance paid $1500 and I had 20 payments of $100 (at 0% interest, financed through the ortho's office) and $350 for records. So my out of pocket was $2350

terra85

#3 Post by terra85 »

I was quoted at nearly $9k. I live in Seattle, though, and things here (including dental care) tend to be on the expensive side.
Age 23. Midline off by 5mm, lots of crowding, and a tooth on top of a tooth.

lovelyleo

#4 Post by lovelyleo »

I went to one consult and was given 5200k I put down 1750k and pay 140 a month. so a small used car payment every month.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

Jewles

#5 Post by Jewles »

Mine cost $5700 australian dollars for ceramic top, metal lowers and about $300 for initial consult and records appt. It also cost me about $500 for a filling and 4 extractions before the braces went on. All up $6500 and I received about $2200 back from my health insurance. I only had one consultation, my ortho works in the same office as the ortho who did my little brother and I liked him, his staff and he had alot of letters after his name which apparantly means hes well trained haha.

xJx

#6 Post by xJx »

So far I've had 2 consultations
first one was for Invisalign which was quoted at £2800
then second consultation was for Radiance braces which cost £1900
I'm going for Radiance not only because of the price difference but the orthodontist recommended these for my case
so hopefully in the next few weeks I will have braces :D
Smile and the world smiles with you! :D

macgirl4ever

Cost

#7 Post by macgirl4ever »

I had two consultations: one took my insurance plan and one only gave me a 25% discount. With insurance, I pay $2,000 for treatment, $250 for records, and $450 for retainers. I had to pay for records up front and my first payment of $119. I only have to pay $119 a month for fifteen months with 0% interest. T really is awesome insurance!

beth1966

#8 Post by beth1966 »

Interesting you ask this as I was just comparing costs this morning from all the consults I've been on. Unfortunately - for me - the most qualified, experienced (he also teaches at NYU), educated (Board Certified - even tho many an excellent ortho is not Bd. Certified), and NICEST and most reassuring and thorough ortho I have consulted with is the most expensive!

Here is a run down of the prices I received, note that the least expensive are also members of my insurance plan so they have to adjust their prices accordingly. Also from what I read, self ligating brackets are more expensive for the ortho (to purchase) then traditional brackets but I have no idea by how much.

1) $4550 - 18 months of treatment, clear traditional brackets. Adjustments will be every 6-8 weeks. Ortho in my plan - however did not seem experienced enough for me - this is the person who ended up refusing me for treatment because she did not think she could 'meet my expectations'. (I never stipulated ANY expectations - lol) She mentioned general gum recession but did not discuss the need for me to see a Periodontist (which is another strike against her) Clear only on top. Practice MOBBED with kids, chaotic - observed that it seemed they were overbooked and they were herding patients in and out like cattle.

2) $5200 - 18 months of treatment, clear self ligating brackets. Adjustments every 6 weeks. Blamed my entire open bite on a tongue thrust - said if I swallowed properly by bite would meet. Said if I did not train myself to swallow properly - treatment would be more like 24 months. Made no sense to me. Ortho in my insurance plan. Clear only on top. Practice MOBBED with kids, chaotic - observed that it seemed they were overbooked and they were herding patients in and out like cattle.

3) $5500 for 18 months of treatment in traditional ceramic brackets. Ortho in my plan, adjustments every 4-6 weeks. Clear only on top.
Practice MOBBED with kids, chaotic - observed that it seemed they were overbooked and they were herding patients in and out like cattle.

4) $5900 for 18 months of treatment in "Ice" brackets - clear only on top. Ortho in plan

5) $6050 - unsure how long it will take OR what type of bracket he would use but clear only on top. Board Certified - teaches at well known NYC college.

6) $7,950 - Sure Smile technique used with self ligating clear brackets on top only. Unsure of how long treatment will be, estimated at 18 months. Noticed general gum recession - said after braces came off I might need to see a periodontist. Board Certified.

7) $8,000 - Board Certified. 35 years experience, teacher at well known dental college in NYC, member of study groups and several local organizations as well as non-profit organizations that treat children with deformities that are not able to afford care. The only ortho who insists I see a Periodontist for a consult to determine if gum grafts needed prior to orthodontia - he believes they will be. This is a very important issue - and one most others fail to recognize. Very interested in correcting my bite and ensuring that the bite is adjusted to function properly - as well as my overall facial esthetic in the end. Uses self ligating and WILL put clear on top and bottom because in my case my top teeth will never be in danger of hitting the bottoms. Overall treatment time could take up to 2 years, but he is hoping 18 months - visits every 3-4 weeks.

Orthodontia is not something where I want to shop around for the best price, but that said I also don't want to be overcharged.

I'm in a tough spot right now as the man I like best is the most expensive But I do feel $8K is a bit high. That said I also live in the NY/NJ metro area - so things are pricier. And HE is the only one I REALLY trust and feel will do a superior job.

I get an $1800 ortho credit from insurance, they've already paid $200 towards my pre-ortho workup. They only pay the allowance in quarterly increments. Those who participate in the plan take that amount off the top and then ask you to pay balance, those who are not - will just have insurance pay patient direct.

Best of luck with whomever you choose! :)

Wireless

#9 Post by Wireless »

I have to agree with Beth1966 that ortho treatment is not a place to skimp for the sake of price. In my past, I have had two previous ortho treatments with less than good long term outcomes. As a result, I'm back for repairs. In addition to the return of my deep overbite, through the years I have experienced broken lower front teeth (fortunately could be fixed) and gum damage behind my front uppers where the lower teeth were hitting. Any gum damage that remains can only be fixed after braces as my teeth have to be moved first.

My first ortho was picked by my parents when I was a teenager. The second was a family dentist who I realized was in over his head about half way through. The first ortho's treatment lasted 10 years and the dentist's around 20.

My new orthos both have advanced credentials. The older tought orthodontics at VCU medical school and is now supporting my new ortho while preparing for retirement. While relatively young, my new ortho has an advanced degree in Orthodontics from the University of Connecticut.

In my case they found a resorbed tooth root from a previous treatment and totally revamped my treatment plan. They also reviewed the prescription medications I was taking and noted that two could cause mouth dryness that could impact treatment with braces. My new ortho was also able to tell me the reason I was a "repeat customer" and unfortunately why he couldn't guarantee a long term fix either. While this sounds discouraging, I would rather hear an honest assessment and also believe that if he knows enough to state why the problem can come back, he will probably know enough to keep it from happening.

Okay - now for the price - I'm paying slightly over $5,000 for an 18 month treatment plan. Given location, this may compare to $8,000 in NY.

From experience, ortho treatments get more difficult with age and the number of previous treatments. If possible, spend the extra bucks and get it right the first time!! Be sure to do long term follow-up plan. Then hopefully you won't have to go back for repairs.

magster

#10 Post by magster »

Thank you all for your responses!! and i didnt base my choice on price (I would have went with the cheapest one if that was the case)

either or, unfortunately my insurance covers... $0

We dont even have Child Ortho! which is usually covered until the age of 19 ---

now you can say what crappy insurance my job gives me, but the sad part?
I work for an insurance broker, you would think we have the best plans out there that are available, but 85% of the people I work with could be my parents and well most of those people probably dont need braces, now here I come in being 22 and all and I would have loved to take advantage of it, but oh well! :)

wayoffbase14

Price quote

#11 Post by wayoffbase14 »

I'm an American living in South Korea and things are just a lot cheaper here I got my extractions on all four teeth for around 70 US.

But I only went on one consult for about 70 US it was 100,000 Won and it included all the x-rays and impressions.

I really liked this guy didn't speak the best of English and my Korean is not the best but he and his staff decided to learn dental English for me, also they wear gloves which is not all that common here, and they have the latest and the greatest with equipment, also they are really nice and I can get all my other dental needs done there.

He quoted me at 3 million for ceramic for two years with all the visits I would need for 50,000 won which converts about $2610 US. They gave me a discount also.

Or I could do metal self lig. for 3.6 for 18 months visits free which is about $2600 US.

I decided to do metal because I wanted faster lol I don't really care if I look like a kid. Also not sure why ceramic is so close in price I thought it would be a lot more.

kristi1003

#12 Post by kristi1003 »

mine are 4,600 but ins will pay 1,500. i was very pleased at the cost. it only cost 258.00 for clear too.

hal2me

#13 Post by hal2me »

Mine cost $6000.00 for the ceramic. Insurance picked up $1000.00.

Sleclerc

#14 Post by Sleclerc »

Mine is $6500 that is for ceramic on top and silver on the bottom. My ortho is the best of the best :D The price without me electing to have the surgeries would of been cheaper but I want the best result possible. My insurance covered $1,000 of that. So $5500. I make payment so 312.00 a month, he requires it to be paid in full within 16 months!

UGHBRACES

#15 Post by UGHBRACES »

$6000 cdn.