Who else has an underbite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cathykay

Who else has an underbite?

#1 Post by cathykay »

Just looking for some members who have an underbite.
Preferably those who have opted not to get surgery for one reason or another!

I'd like to Private Message someone to ask some questions I have.

Ceramic on the top, metal on bottom

My Braces Story! (with pictures!)

marycotter5678

#2 Post by marycotter5678 »

Underbite here. Not sure if i will get surgery yet....

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

rolo

#3 Post by rolo »

Yes, possibly, I think. My top teeth struggled to cover my bottom teeth. mssing upper laterals and had lower 1st premolars extracted, to correct a lot of crowding. For a while during treatment my back teeth didn't touch at all. Bottom teeth then tipped backwards with a round archwired during the gap closing stages. I might still have to have some IPR on the bottom.

acidcookie

#4 Post by acidcookie »

I'm just beginning the process of fixing my underbite. I'm trying not to have the surgery if at all possible and my ortho seems to think it is.

However, I also have some spaces that need to be closed up so the process for it won't even begin until then.

uvraise

UnderBite!

#5 Post by uvraise »

Cathy,
I have an under bite. My first ortho sent me for a MF surgery consult. The surgeon wanted to correct my bite in two surgeries. The first would involve splitting my mandibular rami, removing a thin section of bone vertically and using plates and screws to reattach the bone. The second surgery would involve changing the tilt of my upper jaw. Well, my head was spinning after that consult! I gave up on getting my teeth fixed. Then I took my kids to get braces. I really like their ortho and asked for a consult. She confirmed that I would be a candidate for surgery to correct my bite. I told her I'm almost 40 years old and not really concerned with my bite. Obviously I have overcome the bite issue at my age. I eat just fine. I explained to the ortho that my goal was straighter teeth for a better smile. With that being said, she told my she could give me a beautiful smile, straight teeth and quite possibly correct my malocclusion (under bite) with braces alone. I have had major throat surgey in the past having my tonsils, adenoids, uvula and soft palate all removed. It is no fun having your mouth incapacitated to that extreme. I have a very high tolerance for pain, but that was just crazy pain!
Sorry so long winded! I chose not to have the surgery as having a "correct bite" was not my concern, having a better smile with straight teeth is. I hope this helps!

link357

#6 Post by link357 »

Hi,
I have an under bite, I just got my braces on today. Surgery is in my future, there seems to be no getting around it.

Horton

#7 Post by Horton »

u say u didnt want surgeries becoz it would incpacaitate ure mouth and make you lots of pain. if u didnt have it done how do u no it does that? i read from lots of peoples that did this type of surgeries that it didnt do these things.