First Adjustment since Braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AviationChick

First Adjustment since Braced

#1 Post by AviationChick »

Good Afternoon!

I had my first adjustment today since getting braced 6 weeks ago. They only changed my o-rings, as my teeth are still moving quite a bit with the wire that I have. Ortho says that everything is going great but that I will be needing vertical rubberbands by my next appointment. What are those for exactly? What do they do?

Anyway, I told him that I was still very easy with foods that I don't like anything that is chewy (certain meats and definitely no steak) I've dropped 4 pounds so far. He said that I would get better and grow out of that. I'm just scared of breaking a bracket I don't want to jeopardize my treatment time by one minute! I figure if I'm a good girl that I'll get early release LOL! I definitely don't want the time extended! So I've been really easy with them.

Anyway, just had to ramble -

Andromeda

#2 Post by Andromeda »

Congrats on making it to your first adjustment :) I've been braced for 13 months and was supposed to get debraced this month but my time got extended a few months. I have been supper compliant, never broke any brackets or anything and always wear my elastics as prescribed by my ortho but I still got extended. Sometimes it just takes longer than they originally guess it will so don't be too set on a specific debrace time bc most of us go past that through no fault of our own.

I think the vertical rubberbands are probably elastics, they will hook from top teeth to bottom teeth and are usually used to fix your bite. I have pics of me wearing mine in the last page of my braces story. They can be worn in different ways depending on what needs to move where.

Hope I helped and hope your treatment goes by quickly for you!