My orthodontist doesn't take models of any of his patients

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gilda

My orthodontist doesn't take models of any of his patients

#1 Post by Gilda »

How common is it for an orthodontist not to take models before (or after treatment)?
My orthodontist doesn't take any models of any of his patients.
Have you heard about this anywhere else? Models are not really important?

MakePinkNotWar

#2 Post by MakePinkNotWar »

If he is taking x-rays I wouldn't worry.
Most days I forget I even have braces.

Lela

#3 Post by Lela »

What sort of retainers does he provide? He would need to do molds at the end of treatment for them. Unless he only uses fixed retainers, maybe?
That does seem a little odd to me, but I'm no expert :P

I didn't have molds done at the start of treatment, just x-rays. I'm not sure how common that is but I wasn't a really complex case so maybe that had something to do with it. I'll be getting Essix retainers so I know molds will be taken the day the braces come off.
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

changes09

#4 Post by changes09 »

My ortho has not taken any molds of me he will next month....but that is for surgery

SoCal

#5 Post by SoCal »

A couple of orthos I consulted don't do study models either. I asked why and they said that it's not necessary as the x-rays and the pictures are sufficient. One said that they take up a lot of space and that they just don't have room for them. Another orthodontist said that legally they have to take study models and keep them for many years after the completion of treatment. Go figure.

thisisme

#6 Post by thisisme »

Sounds a little off to me. I would want moulds at least so I can compare the difference at the end. :P