Keeping Gap Closed w/o Labial Frenectomy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

macgirl4ever

Keeping Gap Closed w/o Labial Frenectomy

#1 Post by macgirl4ever »

From a lay perspective: Are labial frenectomies (where they remove the tissue connecting your gum to the inside of your mouth) neccessary to keep gaps closed? I wasn't diligent with retainer wear so I can vouch that it opens but I'm worried that even with anal retentive retainer wear, my gap will reappear unless I have it removed.

My parents opted out of the procedure as they felt it was unneccessary but I'm considering asking my ortho about it at the next adjustment. Also, is it usually covered by medical or dental insurance?
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

ayvecs

#2 Post by ayvecs »

you are right a labial frenectomy is where they cut the tissue between the two front teeth that connects to the gum that often causes a gap between these two teeth. i am one who has a large labial frenunum that causes a large gap between my two front teeth. right now i have started the process to get this corrected with braces, so far i am 3 months in and will be sentenced to around 18 months. i am planning on getting the labial frenectomy done to make sure my gap does not return, plus also the ortho mentioned of applying bonded retainers to my upper teeth to make sure there will be no relapse.

i've read that the procedure for the labial frenectomy is simple and takes less than 15 minutes.

dentalguy

#3 Post by dentalguy »

I've read about people that have cut their own lingual frenulums (the one that attaches the tongue to the floor of the mouth). One guy who was into piercing got a tatooist to cut through his after applying a clamp on each side of it. Apparently :shock: it's not that painful but you need to put some gauze under your tongue for a while afterwards as it can grow back together again. If it's a DIY operation you need to be weary of a vein in there and the saliva gland. I imagine if you've got the nerve to take into your lingual frenulum, a labial frenulum would be a walk in the park by comparison.

changes09

#4 Post by changes09 »

I had this done when i had my wisdome teeth taken out a few years back ( 2003) And I'm in braces now so I'mnot sure if it really does help, but my dentist say's that it should.

changes09

#5 Post by changes09 »

I had this done when i had my wisdome teeth taken out a few years back ( 2003) And I'm in braces now so I'mnot sure if it really does help, but my dentist say's that it should.

macgirl4ever

While in treatment?

#6 Post by macgirl4ever »

Has anyone had this done while in braces? I know there age many procedures that are defered until after treatment.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010