Vertical Holding Appliance?????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

duff18

Vertical Holding Appliance?????

#1 Post by duff18 »

New to the forum and new to braces, actually 1 day with ceramic braces on the top. I also have a "Vertical Holding Appliance" which is just about intolerable. I'm sure most of you know what it is. It's not an expander, but a metal bar with an acrylic pad in the middle that goes between my molars and positions the acrylic pad just below my upper palate. It is designed to keep my molars from dropping and moving forward.

This appliace has given me a speech impediment and also traps every bite of food - every bite! My job requires me to make lots of presentations and be on a lot of conference calls, so this is not very convenient. Eating is also a real struggle.

While it has only been a day, I am very stressed about this thing and my Ortho was vague about how long I would need it - "a few months-at least 4, maybe a year, maybe the whole time". I am looking at 18-30 months of braces then a retainer for 6 months 24/7, and then a retainer at night for life.

There is an alternative. I can get pegs placed above both molars on the palate side and cheek side and then affix a band of some sort to hold the molar in place. It would require that these pegs be implanted in the bone above the molars. My Ortho said it is equally effective and minor oral surgery. It would then take this thing off the roof of my mouth.

I know it will get somewhat better with time, but I really cannot stand this appliance. Has anyone been presented with this decision? Has anyone had the appliace or tried the pegs and bands? I'd like to hear some feedback - thanks!