Archwire and last bracket question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

berlylabs

Archwire and last bracket question

#1 Post by berlylabs »

Anyone,
I'm new to braces, had mine about a month. I remember when i was eating once I felt pressure on my back tooth and realized that I think the wire had come out of the tube back there (i guess that's what it is). Well I moved my mouth and it popped in on its own. It's done this a few times since, maybe 2 times. Well I noticed the wire is more flexible between this and the tooth before it. I think I have self ligating braces. Dentist didn't tell me this but they don't have elastic around them or anything. They look a little like http://www.drmehan.com/innovation%20%28Small%29.jpg. On this particular side I've noticed it's the only side the wire doesn't come out the end and is bent so it doesn't poke me. I can't feel it on the end. It's in the tube now. I'm just wondering, if I think it popped out but it is back in do I need to go to ortho? I used to have a band on this tooth but he noticed my back tooth was lower so the band came lose, so he just put an end bracket there without a band. I not sure if this makes sense. any help appreciated.

felicia

#2 Post by felicia »

After adjustments I can always feel the wire at the end of the tube. After days or weeks I always feel changes, it either gets shorter and dissapears in the tube or it gets longer and it starts poking my cheek.
I can't imagine your wire going back in the tube on it's own, maybe just the very end of it gets stuck into something and it gives you the impression that it is back in. you should call your ortho's office and ask them to take you in, so that they can take a look at it, because it's important that the wire is anchored in the tube properly.

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Archwire and last bracket question

#3 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I Ate cookie dough and it popped out. Then I called the orthodontist's office and the lady at the desk (who is also a trained orthodontic assistant) talked to me and I couldn't go until my next appointment she told me to snip it and I know it's going to hurt when I get my wire replaced at the next visit.
Jenn Medeiros

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

Those beginning wires are very thin, and flexible so they pop out pretty easy. There's not much they can to to keep them in there. Once the wire gets a little thicker they won't move so easily. For now if it pops out just push it back in. Let your Ortho know what's happening, but again there isn't much they can do.
Good luck.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

ashesgap wrote:Those beginning wires are very thin, and flexible so they pop out pretty easy. There's not much they can to to keep them in there. Once the wire gets a little thicker they won't move so easily. For now if it pops out just push it back in. Let your Ortho know what's happening, but again there isn't much they can do.
Good luck.

I agree with ashesgap. The first wires are thin and aren't very strong. As you progress to stronger wires, they should hold better. I remember in the beginning, my wires always felt like they were moving. The ortho explained that as the teeth move, the wires can do tricky things. You can always call your office and let them know.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#6 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

ashesgap wrote:Those beginning wires are very thin, and flexible so they pop out pretty easy. There's not much they can to to keep them in there. Once the wire gets a little thicker they won't move so easily. For now if it pops out just push it back in. Let your Ortho know what's happening, but again there isn't much they can do.
Good luck.
That's almost word for word what my orthodontist told me. if you cant pop them back in or go to an appoinment soon you can always clip it to the nearest bracket using nail clippers it wont matter. good luck in treatment
Jenn Medeiros