how do you manage to brush your teeth after each meal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melani

how do you manage to brush your teeth after each meal?

#1 Post by melani »

With the hectic life schedule I have in my daily life, it is crazy the way I manage to keep my teeth in a an almost perfect hygiene, but somehow I do.Most of the time I brush my teeth after each meal, because eI have braces and in general, that's the way it should be.
but sometimes I really cannot because i am in the movie theater or somewhere else ,
What do you do guys How do you manage to keep your teeth clean?
How do you maintain the clean mouth all the time.? or do you?

24braceface

#2 Post by 24braceface »

I don't think it's entirely possible to brush your teeth after every meal or drink all of the time.

CanberraRaiders

#3 Post by CanberraRaiders »

24braceface wrote:I don't think it's entirely possible to brush your teeth after every meal or drink all of the time.
Geez I was going to say.......especially if you actually work for a living.

CanberraRaiders

#4 Post by CanberraRaiders »

24braceface wrote:I don't think it's entirely possible to brush your teeth after every meal or drink all of the time.
Geez I was going to say.......especially if you actually work for a living.

kilikena311

#5 Post by kilikena311 »

Right now I'm staying at home and taking care of my daughter and helping my dad get around to his appointments and ...suprise... I'm still never home at lunchtime, LOL. I usually do a really good swish to get stuff out of my brackets, and if I happen to be home I brush. I'll have had my braces on for a year tomorrow and only hear good things about how clean I keep my teeth. I do understand that it's different for everyone though.

drpotter

#6 Post by drpotter »

So far I've managed to brush after every meal. I got a little cosmetic bag that I'm keeping supplies in, including a travel brush, tooth paste and a little camping cup (to swish!); and even when eating out I'm popping over to the restroom and brushing really quickly. I can't stand the feel of stuff in my brackets anyway.

I'm sure not every situation will be conducive to it though.
Check out my braces blog: http://www.fullmetalbracket.com/

kvphi

I'm surprised no ones mentioned it.

#7 Post by kvphi »

The Waterpik. It's my lifeline as a brace wearer. It's a quick solution to getting the food out of my braces - perfectly with minimal embarrassment and fuss. And it keeps my gums healthy! It takes all of 2 - 5 minutes.

drpotter

#8 Post by drpotter »

I could never use my waterpik in public! It gets everywhere :). Brushing works like a charm out of the house though and only takes a couple of minutes. Was weird at first in public restrooms but I've gotten over it, most people don't look twice.
Check out my braces blog: http://www.fullmetalbracket.com/

Steph in Sac

#9 Post by Steph in Sac »

I don't! I brush in the morning, when I get to work after my morning cup of coffee, and at night after dinner. During the day, I swish with water always and will pick out any unsightly things with my trusty dental pick. I keep a kit in my purse in case I need to brush, but I haven't found it to be that important. I always eat bite sized food (no sandwiches, etc.) so perhaps that helps.

smithie

#10 Post by smithie »

I've yet to change my brushing habits from before I had braces, aside from occasionally having to swish or use a dry toothbrush to dig out embedded food. I am currently 7 months in.

Snowglobe32

#11 Post by Snowglobe32 »

If there is a restroom with a sink, how can you not brush your teeth?

In the building where I work, there are private restrooms (one peson) and regular restrooms. I have used both with no problem. I don't care if people see me, I care about my teeth and hygeine. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to brush and use mouthwash.

A couple of weeks ago, I walked into the restroom while another lady was brushing her teeth. As she saw me take my bag out and get everything ready she made a comment similiar to, "There is another one who likes to brush after lunch!" I noticed she didn't have braces and I smiled and said, I wish there were more people like you around.

I have tried the swishing thing and for me it doesn't work after I eat, it is fine if I drink something but not after eating. I find that I don't get everything and it leaves my mouth with an unpleasant feeling/taste.

Plus, some of my co-workers have bad breath and it drives me crazy! We tend to have a lot of morning and afternoon meetings, I know whom to sit by and whom not to sit by. Coffee breath and after lunch breath is not pleasant. If these people who don't have braces where food can get stuck, have bad breath, what kind of breath would I have if I didn't brush? Besides, who wants to have food stuck in their teeth until they get home?

I brushed after lunch even before I had braces. It is just a personal preference for me. I keep my supplies in a bag that was give to me when I bought perfume, a free gift with purchase, but any kind of bag will do. Lay papertowels done on the counter and brush away.

There is no excuse for bad breath (other than serious dental issues).

50+

Teeth brushing

#12 Post by 50+ »

I brush my teeth after every meal when possible. I find that I can't stand it when my mouth isn't clean. As for when I'm out and unable to brush, I use the Colgate Wisp which is a portable toothbrush that doesn't require water or rinsing. They are a lifesaver. A few swishes of water also helps - but usually can't wait to get home to use my Waterpik and brush! And, yes, I do brush at work - after my morning snack and coffee and after lunch. I keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in my desk drawer and make a point of doing it. I find it also helps to not continue eating and looking for things to munch on after I brush! :)
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

TigerLily

#13 Post by TigerLily »

I've got a bit lazy with brushing during the day (nearly 2.5 years in braces) but I do always carry a teepee brush and a teeny bottle of mouthwash as well as toothbrush, so these do if necessary.

Snowglobe32

#14 Post by Snowglobe32 »

50+:

I agree, brushing at work also keeps me from snacking until I get home.

Donna

#15 Post by Donna »

I'm a stay-at-home mom so that makes it easy for me to brush after every meal. If I'm out, I just wait until I get home to clean my teeth.