need help in Houston

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

help3232

need help in Houston

#1 Post by help3232 »

I just moved here from out of state (single, working adult, new job, new everything) with braces on upper and retainer on lower. The orthos I have visited here tell me that my upper is way over expanded (one finally removed the expansion wire 2 days ago). I've seen:
1) cosmetic dentist (we thought he did ortho but don't think so now)
2) ortho (who doesn't do braces and splints/retainers)
3) ortho who thinks I need jaw surgery to correct over-expansion (no way) and LOTS of ortho treatment OR cosmetic dentistry on the lower to make it "meet" the upper as best it can (less than optimal from his tone)
4) a prosthodontist - he would do cosmetic dentistry to build up the lower teeth so they would meet the upper teeth (they only meet on back, right teeth currently)

I thought, when I moved, that we had expanded the upper a little too much but were going to bring it back after putting brackets on the lower and aligning the upper and lower.

The amount of time and mental and emotional energy on this is killing me. I need to be working and having my regular monthly appointment. This is the second time I've had braces but I am really scared. At minimum I would like to close the spaces on the upper and get the teeth so they're straight up and down (right now they angle outward a bit). And then do cosmetic dentistry on the bottom if that's the best option. I have put so much $$$$$$ in my mouth its not even funny. I would just like to find a Houston orthodontist who will take on this challenge, not charge me an arm, a leg, and a torso to get this done. :) If anyone has a recommendation, I would love to hear it. :shock:

yoginbraces

#2 Post by yoginbraces »

I don't have a recommendation but I just want to wish you the best with your ortho treatment. Hang in there.

BracketRacket

#3 Post by BracketRacket »

Maybe they could consult with your old ortho and see what his/her plans were. Did your old ortho give you any kind of indication as to what you should be doing when you get there? I'd think they would have wanted to set you up with a new ortho to continue treatment.

help3232

he's tried

#4 Post by help3232 »

He tried to find someone. Visit #1 and #2 were at his direction. I don't know if I even trust my old one or not since his work has been so criticized here in Houston. I don't know what to think at this point.