Very Happy With Today's Adjustment!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hal2me

Very Happy With Today's Adjustment!

#1 Post by hal2me »

Just wanted to share my excitement with people who understand! No debrace date has been set yet, but I only have to wear those dreadful elastics for 12 hours a day now! Yahoo! The ortho was pleasantly surprised that I actually wore them the way I was told to.

Guess it pays off to be obsessive about wearing your elastics!

Thanks for reading! :lol:

yoginbraces

#2 Post by yoginbraces »

Good for you! I am still in the early stages of my treatment so don't yet have elastics. Strange as it may sound I can't wait to get them.

alimommy1

#3 Post by alimommy1 »

I remember elastics and they very quickly started to feel BETTER ON than off. That's why I was able to eat with them in and sleep with them in, and talk with them in. I always laugh when someone is surprised that I did something I promised to, it's like what... 99% of people don't, even when they are paying 5K or more? You must be kidding me :)

On another note, when do you think your debrace date will be? Soon in a couple of months or just before the end of the year?

hal2me

#4 Post by hal2me »

My original estimate was November. Now, the ortho is saying by the end of the summer. End of August/early September perhaps. My next adjustment is August 4th, so I am hoping for a date then. Two of my teeth are stubborn and refuse to move. Keep your fingers crossed!

While I was there, the assistant was reading the riot act to a 14 year-old boy for not brushing his teeth. They had to schedule a gum graft for him. The mother kept saying, "He brushes once a day. That's enough!".

Seriously, why pay all the money for nice teeth if you don't do what you are supposed to? Darn kids! :lol:

alimommy1

#5 Post by alimommy1 »

Argh, ONCE a day? As I've been reading braces stories here, I have seen some pretty complicated and long routines some people have for taking care of their teeth while braced. While I was NEVER that diligent, I'm sure I brushed like 4 or 5 times a day - because I like to eat. I cannot imagine not brushing after eating, do do do... walk back into office after lunch, give my coworkers a show of salad fixings and fettucine? NO THANKS!

I didn't have a waterpik, and I preferred the single use flossers and proxy brushes to actually winding floss, but I did use a fluoride rinse and mouthwash every night/morning.

I actually went to high school with a kid who didn't take care of his braces/teeth so he had them taken off - and I think they looked WORSE after a year of treatment and not being finished than they had before he got them put on. I have no clue why someone would do a thing like that. It takes like 5 minutes to brush and examine - and it hurts so bad if your gums get swollen and bleed, so I can't believe people let that happen on purpose....

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! Stubborn teeth are literally a pain in the mouth :D I'd say I'll cross my teeth but that's a BAD idea - it's why most of us are here in the first place.

CherylCee

#6 Post by CherylCee »

I have only had my braces on for a week but was told I will need a trans palatal arch and elestics. Just curious...at what point in the treatment should I expect the elastics? The ortho said to expect to have the braces for 26 months so are the elastics usually in the later part of treatment?

hal2me

#7 Post by hal2me »

Hi CherylCee,

Everyone's treatment is different. Some wear elastics in the beginning, while others wear them during the last stages of treatment. Honestly, I did not think I was going to have to wear them. Boy was I surprised! They are a pain to wear, but if you wear them as instructed, your treatment won't be extended.

Hope I answered your question!

catgyrl

#8 Post by catgyrl »

Good for you hal2me!! I hope you're able to get those braces off in a few months.

I always like to read threads regarding elastics because I know mine are coming up shortly. He put one small band in the other week to start closing an extraction gap, and I can't feel it at all. I notice a teeny, tiny space between the left upper canine (where the band is) and the tooth next to it, so it must be working. He said something in passing about "Maybe in 4 weeks we'll start you on elastics!" Well, it turns out my 4-week timeframe fell on the day before I'm supposed to go to a concert, so I asked them "Can I make it 4 weeks and a few days, instead? I don't want to be miserable at the show!" She said, "Absolutely."

I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

CherylCee

#9 Post by CherylCee »

When I went for my initial consult for the braces and was told I needed the elastics my stomach dropped. All I could picture was these elastics snapping my mouth shut everytime I tried to talk. Love this site because i now know I am not alone.

This trans palatal arch has me worried now. I work in a bank with customers all day and I worry about being able to speak clearly. As I stated on another thread I have brackets with hooks now and I am having so much trouble with them. They dig into my tongue and I talk with a lisp.

Ugh....I feel like I am turning into a constant complainer! lol

I love my teeth

#10 Post by I love my teeth »

CherylCee-

I have a transpalital arch--got it in October, along with a nance (which is a little button on top, closer to the front of the mouth---the acual TPA is the retainer like wire that goes along the back part of the roof of your mouth.

I had the nance part removed 3 months later (Jan), but still have the tpa in. Honestly, it was horrible for the first week, talking and eating, but then I got used to it, and by the 3month mark he removed the nance part, I don't even notice the tpa any longer! So, I 've had it in a total of 8months, and after the first 1-2weeks I hardly knew it was there!

good luck!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#11 Post by blindboarder2008 »

congratz hal2me!!!! before you know it you'll have a debrace date!!!!! I remember when I was told 12 hours a day I was so excited and relieved!!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!