One week in and still cant talk right....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CherylCee

One week in and still cant talk right....

#1 Post by CherylCee »

So one week later and my speech seems to be getting worse. I now talk like i have a mouth full of M&M's (or metal). I have upper bands with hooks on the inside. I will be getting a trans-palatal arch at some point and I guess it snaps into these hooks.

The hooks are driving me crazy and constantly rubbing against my tongue. OUCH. My ortho did "bend them in a bit" but it still doesnt help. Does anyone else have this same problem? I've been reading and hearing a lot that it will get better with time. Is this true or something people just keep saying to shut me up.

:o

catgyrl

#2 Post by catgyrl »

I'm sorry you're going through so much trouble with your hooks. I don't have those, myself, but I do have a very noticeable lisp that comes and goes - at the most inopportune times. I think that's to be expected, unfortunately, so we just have to get used to it.

Have you tried warm salt water rinses for the pain? As much as I used to make fun of my dentist for always suggesting that to me after painful cleanings, it really does help. Also, wax for the hooks. I've given in and threw myself on the mercy of the little wax container. I have some at home... some in my purse... some in my desk at work...

Good luck to you!

hal2me

#3 Post by hal2me »

Hi CherylCee,

Sorry you are in such pain. Unfortunately you have to go through this painful period before your mouth gets used to all the hardware in it. In the beginning I would go through a package of wax in two days because the molar band hooks were digging holes in my cheeks. It was so painful. After a while, my mouth toughened up.

Anbesol and wax were my best friends during this painful transition. Salt water rinses help as well. The hooks irritate your mouth causing swelling. Then the hooks have more to get caught up on. It's never fun.

Hang in there. You will get through this. (I'm not just saying this to keep you quiet either. :lol: )

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

You will talk better in time. The best advice is to sing in your car. It helps your mouth "practice" with all this stuff in there. I don't even notice the braces anymore, till i've eaten something.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

CherylCee

#5 Post by CherylCee »

LOl...ok I will do just that. I will be ok once I stop biting my tongue every 3 minutes!!

hal2me

#6 Post by hal2me »

ashesgap wrote:You will talk better in time. The best advice is to sing in your car. It helps your mouth "practice" with all this stuff in there. I don't even notice the braces anymore, till i've eaten something.
Ah yes, the singing (or should I say spraying) in the car works well. I cannot tell you how many times I sprayed people while talking to them :lol:

CherylCee

#7 Post by CherylCee »

hahaha...too funny!

So glad I am not alone!! I just wish you all worked with me. It would make my day much brighter if I could laugh at others besides myself. :)

hal2me

#8 Post by hal2me »

CherylCee wrote:hahaha...too funny!

So glad I am not alone!! I just wish you all worked with me. It would make my day much brighter if I could laugh at others besides myself. :)
If it makes you feel any better, I'm in MA too! :D We can "spray" the town!

yoginbraces

#9 Post by yoginbraces »

I was in agony when I first got braces (one month ago today!) .... in fact a friend who wore braces for 5 years told everyone "you would think she had her arm amputated!" :-)

Let me tell you....my molar bands were digging under my tongue so badly that whenever I talked, swallowed, did anything my tongue was tortured.

I had to go back in to the ortho and have them pull in the hooks a bit which helped but I didn't really notice the pain go away entirely until I started rinsing with warm salt water. It was a miracle.

Today I am fine and just as happy as can be with my braces.

Good luck!

psych braces

#10 Post by psych braces »

Hey CherylCee,
I have those darn hooks as well. I'm four weeks in and I don't even notice them anymore. Your speech is affected because the hooks are ripping up your tongue so you naturally avoid placing your tongue there. Try it out...suck up the pain and make the normal tongue movements for words and you will see that your speech is pretty normal. The good news is that your tongue soon gets friendly with those hooks and you begin to speak normal again. Unfortunately...the speech issue is likely to be a problem again when the expander is actually put in. I'm not at the point of treatment yet but I have been encouraged by the many posts on this site that say its just crappy for a short time and then you adjust. This site is awesome for encouragement!