getting braces removed- how long does it take

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trillium

getting braces removed- how long does it take

#1 Post by trillium »

How long does it take for the ortho to remove your braces? Will they book a longer appointment? (Getting to the end of my treatment, they keep saying "soon" but haven't given a debracing date... and I guess that I'm hoping that I'll show up for an appointment and they'll surprise me by taking them off.) Wishfull thinking I guess.
04/09/09- Consult, 04/21/09- Spacers in, 04/23/09- Braces on, 06/01/09- Extractions
06/25/09- First Adjustment (new wire, but same size- all the way to bck molars- after extractions)
08/20/09- Second adjustment (same size wire but got Powerchains top and bottom!!!)
10/02/09- 3rd adj (same size wire, new powerchain, started elastics)
12/10/09- 4th adj. (same size wire, new powerchain, same elastics)
02/11/10- 5th adj.

haywire

#2 Post by haywire »

i got my debrace date and my ortho said that it will take a while to remove teeth, then clean them, then take impressions, than make the retainer(essix in my case) ..

i think i've heard her saying something about an hour and a half

some replies from people that got debraced, please :D
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

haywire

#3 Post by haywire »

it will take a while to remove braces* typo sorry :shock:
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

VA5

#4 Post by VA5 »

this should probably be a different post.. however i'm wondering if the ortho can only make impressions for the retainers after the braces are removed, or if they do it while still braced. i am seriously just worried about having any lag time in between my braces and retainers b/c i fear my teeth will shift. i am hoping that as soon as my braces come off, the retainers will go right in.

haywire

#5 Post by haywire »

if it helps you, i saw a post of a user that said that she had her retaine a week after getting debraced, and she didn't see any significant changes in that time
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

miggins

#6 Post by miggins »

I don't know how long exactly my debrace took (I don't wear a watch) but my appointment was booked for 40 minutes. I had an impression taken the week before so my lower fixed retainer could be put on as soon as the braces came off, but the impressions for the upper Essix retainer were taken on debrace day (Saturday) and were ready a few days later (Wednesday). There wasn't any movement at all in those few days of freedom, but I was told to be gentle with my teeth until I got my retainer - no going mad with toffee or corn on the cob and not to brush too hard.

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

My debracing appointment was scheduled for about an hour and a half. The removal of the braces takes like a minute. The grinding off of the glue and polishing takes 15-20 minutes. I took several x-rays at that appointment and did molds for my retainer and took final photos.

Can't really comment on the retainer issue as my orthodontist uses a "Positoner Appliance". Google it if you are interested, and be glad that your ortho probably does not use one. It apparently fine turns things and settles the bite, but whatever.....all I know is that I hated, hated, hated it. I took the impression for that evil thing with my braces on several weeks before my debrace day. It was ready the day my braces were removed and served as my retention while the retainer was being made

felicia

#8 Post by felicia »

They told me it will last at least 1 hour.
I don't believe they will surprise you with debracing in one of your regular appointments. The need to schedule it ahead of time.

trillium

#9 Post by trillium »

ewww I can't imagine having the impressions done with braces still on?! Unless they use different stuff to do the impressions, wouldn't it all get caught in your braces (kind of like scrambled eggs do, or process cheese slices)

TumbleDryLow

#10 Post by TumbleDryLow »

trillium wrote:ewww I can't imagine having the impressions done with braces still on?! Unless they use different stuff to do the impressions, wouldn't it all get caught in your braces (kind of like scrambled eggs do, or process cheese slices)
Nope. Nothing got stuck. I think the stuff sticks to itself more then it sticks to anything else.

drrick

#11 Post by drrick »

We schedule 40 minutes to an hour (I cant remember) that included bracket and cement removal ( which takes only 5 to 10 minutes)
We also take our final records that day, insert retainers, etc.

We typically take imps before we remove the braces so there is no lag time btwn bracket removal and ret placement but other offices do this differently.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

VA5

#12 Post by VA5 »

Good information to know! I'm especially glad that there doesn't need to be a lag in between braces removal and retainer.

And good to know about the positioning retainer or whatever it's called. Thanks!

hal2me

#13 Post by hal2me »

I asked the ortho this question yesterday. The appointment should take about 1.5 hours. This includes removing the brackets, cement, taking impressions, x-rays, and final photos.

The following week I have to come back in for my retainer.

Hope this helps!

VA5

#14 Post by VA5 »

hal2me wrote:I asked the ortho this question yesterday. The appointment should take about 1.5 hours. This includes removing the brackets, cement, taking impressions, x-rays, and final photos.

The following week I have to come back in for my retainer.

Hope this helps!
So you're one of the cases where they take the impression after debracing and then there is a lag. Do you mind asking your ortho why he isn't doing the molds/impressions before the debracing? As I said... seems like they all do it differently but I don't know why. I'd think it'd be in the patient's best interest to take the impressions before debracing and put the retainers in as soon as the braces come off.

hal2me

#15 Post by hal2me »

VA5 wrote: So you're one of the cases where they take the impression after debracing and then there is a lag. Do you mind asking your ortho why he isn't doing the molds/impressions before the debracing? As I said... seems like they all do it differently but I don't know why. I'd think it'd be in the patient's best interest to take the impressions before debracing and put the retainers in as soon as the braces come off.
Sorry, I should have added this information :oops:

My ortho does not have a lab on site, so the molds have to be sent out to have the retainers made. I was concerned about the week lag time, but he explained to me that one week would not make a difference in my teeth.