20 days to go and getting nervous....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hal2me

20 days to go and getting nervous....

#1 Post by hal2me »

Hi Fellow Metal/Ceramic Mouths!

My braces are scheduled to come off on the 23rd. I am having some real anxiety about them coming off. Is this normal? I am so scared that my teeth are going to bad stains on them, have those dreadful white spots, and that it is going to hurt. Also, I am paranoid that I won't like how my teeth will look.

Why am I being so crazy? At first, I could not wait for this day to get here. Now, I am so afraid.

Has anyone else gone through this? How did you cope?

Thanks!

felicia

#2 Post by felicia »

I got debraced 1 week ago.
Taking the brackets off did not hurt. When they yanked the molar bands off was a little bit uncomfortable. Also, when the ortho used the electrical tool to take off the glue, my teeth got a little sensitive, especially the front lower ones.
If you had a good hygiene during treatment, there will be no spots on your teeth.
When they first sent me to rinse and I had the opportunity to look in the mirror I was a little bit scared to look, I was afraid I might not like them. But when I looked, I liked them, I did have a strange feeling...like...THESE ARE NOT MY TEETH, THAT'S NOT HOW I REMEMBER THEM. Also, they looked BIG, my ortho said "they're not big, they're just fine"
After I went home I felt strange for the rest of the day...like something's missing. I think that's a normal thing to feel...I had them for 14 months.
Hal2me don't be afraid, it's not a big deal.

yoginbraces

#3 Post by yoginbraces »

Change is good!!! Be proud of yourself and remember to smile every opportunity you get. You deserve it. :)

evilnel

#4 Post by evilnel »

I'm also getting de-braced on the 23rd, if all goes according to plan! I am nervous, but I have strep or the flu and can't breathe through my nose, so my brackets are really tearing up my mouth. If ever I needed a reminder for why I want these suckers off, this is it! I think it will be fine. It might be uncomfortable, but I think everything is going to turn out really well!

And I comfort myself by saying that getting the brackets off can't be as bad as getting the molar bands off! Those suckers were embedded into my gums!

Lynette

#5 Post by Lynette »

felicia wrote: Also, they looked BIG, my ortho said "they're not big, they're just fine"
The last time I got my braces off I was exactly the same. I thought my teeth looked HUGE without braces and I hated it lol. I got use to it after a while though.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

hal2me

#6 Post by hal2me »

Thank you all for the replies! At least I know now to expect my teeth to look really big! :D It's funny how our braces become a part of us after a while.

hal2me

#7 Post by hal2me »

evilnel wrote:I'm also getting de-braced on the 23rd, if all goes according to plan!
Good luck evilnel! I'll be thinking of you as I sit in the chair. These suckers are do to come off at 7:45 AM.

evilnel

#8 Post by evilnel »

Mine are coming off a little later (again, if everything looks good, but I hope it does!) at about 2 pm. I'll keep you in mind. I think you'll be happy with the results!

RedDress

Re: 20 days to go and getting nervous....

#9 Post by RedDress »

hal2me wrote:Also, I am paranoid that I won't like how my teeth will look.

Why am I being so crazy? At first, I could not wait for this day to get here. Now, I am so afraid.

Has anyone else gone through this? How did you cope?

Thanks!
Do your teeth look good now? I mean before braces?! :?