Suresmile vs Normal Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mentos

Suresmile vs Normal Braces

#1 Post by mentos »

Hi this is what I know about suresmile vs normal braces.

Suresmile
-Uses a robot bended arch wire
-3D xray used in which u can see your results from the beginning
-More expensive, around $5600-$7000 in the US
-Limited availability
-Takes less time because the greater precision of the robot
-Although the robot directs the treatment, the orthodontist is needed for "tweaks" at the end

Normal Braces
-can use any type of xray, not just 3d
-generally cheaper
-can get in any country, not just in the US, so price can be as low as $2000.
-May take more time

My question is that at the end of both suresmile and normal braces, is the end result the same?? Also, does Suresmile take into consideration the overall balance of the face when designing the ideal bite? I have a long narrow face due to mouth breathing/nasal congestion, and would like my arch to be widened a bit to balance out my features. I absolutely do not want additional vertical growth of my facial bones. I don't have a lot of money but if suresmile can prevent a long misshapen face, i'll go with suresmile.

Snowglobe32

Re: Suresmile vs Normal Braces

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I just got my first SureSmile wire a week ago after being in regular braces for 16 months. I wish I had done SS from the beginning! I can kick myself now... I didn't want to pay the extra $780 in the beginning but my ortho gave me a huge discount if I wanted to finish my treatment with SS. He felt he could get a better result.

With this new wire, I have a bend on almost every tooth. I never had that with the regular wires. Everything you mentioned about SS, I have read and been told also except this, "Although the robot directs the treatment, the orthodontist is needed for "tweaks" at the end."

I do not believe that is correct. The robot isn't directing the treatment, he is creating the wire the ortho prescribes. After your teeth are scanned and the images are taken, the ortho devises a plan that will put your teeth in perfect alignment based on those images. He then sends his plan off to the lab in Texas which sends the plan back to him. He then makes sure that is what he wants before giving the final ok. Once the final ok is given, it takes about 2 weeks to get your custom wires delivered. So essentially the ortho is in charge of your treatment plan the entire time.

I will have about 5 wires from now until the end of my treatment. I go back in 5 weeks to get the second wire. I believe he already has all of my wires. I do know that over time, he may need to reposition a bracket.

I don't think a lot of ortho's use SS because the equipment is so expensive. As for what SureSmile can do to/for your face shape, I don't know. I do know each SS case is custom built for the individual patient. I did a lot of research and looked at almost every SS case my ortho has before deciding on whether or not to complete treatment with SS. The results were amazing.

There are great videos and media stories available online. If you can afford SS, I would do that over traditional wires. My original estimate with regular wires was 22-24 months. If I had done SS from the start, I would have been done now.

Good Luck!

Kristyar0

Re: Suresmile vs Normal Braces

#3 Post by Kristyar0 »

i'd just like to confirm what snowglobe said. the robot is not in control of your treatment. the ortho takes a 3D scan of your mouth and then uses a computer program to move the teeth so that they line up exactly where he wants and the bite is how he wants it to. he then sends this plan to the lab and a robot bends the wires so that what the ortho planned on the computer can be achieved. it is faster because many tiny adjustments can be done at once whereas when the ortho does the wires himself he puts in one bend at a time. it is more of a guess as to how big the bend needs to be whereas with suresmile the bend is exactly the size needed. the 'fine tuning' is easier and quicker.
my braces estimate is 15 months. without suresmile it would be 2 years.