and one week later...I'm braced!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sunnylocks

and one week later...I'm braced!

#1 Post by sunnylocks »

My name is Shonna, I just wanted to post because I got my braces put on today. I have a malocclusion 3 but my ortho said I can do without the jaw surgery with the use of brackets that will shift my top to the front and the bottom to the back to get rid of my cross bite. I'm really excited about this! I took 2 Aleve before the appointment, and haven't been in much pain. I went to the store after got some supplies. He said a waterpik was the better investment until I can get a Sonicare toothbrush so that's what I did. I got some soup as well and had to quite some cleaning after I finished eating. I can already tell flossing with the threader is gonna be my major issue. I hated flossing without, so with braces, it's gonna be...well it's gonna take effort. I'm also very happy I took the day off from work as well as tomorrow. I know I'm slowly but surely talking regularly since that is part of my job. Not sure what else to say other than I know I will be losing weight because I'm slowly realizing just how much food I won't be snacking on.

If there are any of you that have some advice I may not have read already...tips for flossing, things to eat, anything that might help me out on my journey (10-12 months), I would love to hear from you!

P.S. does anyone know why I can't post pics...do you have to be a member for awhile first?

sunnylocks

Re: and one week later...I'm braced!

#2 Post by sunnylocks »

I figured out the 7 posts thing /facepalm/

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

sunnylocks wrote:I figured out the 7 posts thing /facepalm/
OK that was funny, but don't worry everyone always asks that question.
For flossing i bought a small circle mirror, its got little legs that you could stand on a counter. Instead I fold the legs together, and hold them between my knees, so i can floss sitting down. That way I can get up close to it if i need to. But after a year of flossing with braces I wonder, why the heck didn't i do this more when i didn't have braces? It takes like 2 minutes without braces...and yet i only did it like twice a week. Now I floss everynight, and it takes more than two minutes. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.
And yes, the waterpik is the best thing ever. I use my RediBreeze like 6 times a day.
Good Luck with all this. After a while you totally forget you have braces.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

bp88

#4 Post by bp88 »

Welcome to the journey! :D

sunnylocks

#5 Post by sunnylocks »

Thank you, thank you! I've been checking this site every day while I went to consultations, reading everyone's stories, and loving all the support that everyone is given. To be completely honest, I'm not sure I would have gone through with it, if it wasn't for this site.

Anyways...didn't wanna post again so I'm putting pics up in a reply.

Hope the pics are okay as far as quality...I had to use my camera phone since my digital is broken. But my ortho took pics so I'm gonna ask for copies when all is said and done!

Thanks for your support...and I wish everyone the best!

GypsyinBraces

#6 Post by GypsyinBraces »

Congrats on your braces! :D
Thank you, thank you! I've been checking this site every day while I went to consultations, reading everyone's stories, and loving all the support that everyone is given. To be completely honest, I'm not sure I would have gone through with it, if it wasn't for this site.
I agree! The result is so going to be worth it, so keep us updated! :-*