What would you consider a perfect smile?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

11lp

What would you consider a perfect smile?

#1 Post by 11lp »

Hi I got my braces off today and I know I am probably too annal about this, but there are a few things I noticed right away as I compare to others' completed treatments (and yes I know I shouldn't be comparing because everyone's different :( my bad! ) :1. my midline is not aligned (I don't terribly concern since my bites are good); 2. there is some space btween my left upper and lower teeth; 3. there seem that they are teeth not completely straight.

I am happy that the braces are off but just wonder, in general, what would you consider as a good ortho end result? Thanks in advance for sharing.

TumbleDryLow

Re: What would you consider a perfect smile?

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

We are always our own worst critic. If you look at things long enough, it's is easy to find flaws. One thing that you need to keep in mind is that, as adults, we often cannot have 100% of our orthodontic issues corrected.

1. Midlines are often off a bit. Orthos need to give you a functional bite first (i.e. line up molars). Then everything else is put into place. Midlines are sometimes is the loser in this equasion.
2. You don't say which teeth don't touch, but after braces are removed, teeth often need time to settle into their final bite. Give it some time.
3. Retainers are sometimes used to make final tweeks.

But I urge you to bring these issues up with your orthodontist.
Congrats on getting your braces off!

bottlecap1990

#3 Post by bottlecap1990 »

11lp wrote:Hi I got my braces off today and I know I am probably too annal about this, but there are a few things I noticed right away as I compare to others' completed treatments (and yes I know I shouldn't be comparing because everyone's different :( my bad! ) :1. my midline is not aligned (I don't terribly concern since my bites are good); 2. there is some space btween my left upper and lower teeth; 3. there seem that they are teeth not completely straight.

I am happy that the braces are off but just wonder, in general, what would you consider as a good ortho end result? Thanks in advance for sharing.
I consider a good ortho result when my teeth look better than before.
RPE. 6/5/2010
Full metal braces, 8/7/2010
Braces Removed, 6/12/2013

VA5

#4 Post by VA5 »

I was looking for answers to what the perfect teeth shape should be (in anticipation of getting my teeth shaved for aesthetics, near the end of my treatment which is basically now), and I found an interesting site:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Perfect-Smi ... your-teeth

It talks about all the different aspects that a dentist will consider when you want your teeth perfected... hope this helps.

catgyrl

#5 Post by catgyrl »

VA5 - that was a ver interesting article. Fess up... Did you immediately grab a tape measure and measure your front teeth? :lol: I did, and mine come out to 80%. :D

Cathy

lilone

#6 Post by lilone »

Interesting...mine are the same width as height. So, I guess a little IPR won't do my looks any harm:)

11lp

#7 Post by 11lp »

Thanks guys for the post. To facilitate the discussion, I am posting my debraced pictures below. They are B&W because I haven't gotten my teeth cleaned and fixed the cavities. But you will probably understand my concerns after viewing them. They are not in the best condition that I anticipated. However, I am getting used to them and am just glad that the braces are off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peaches

#8 Post by peaches »

I think your teeth look great, both before and after (but obviously better after). I do see what you are talking about though, particularly with your left side. It looks class II while the right side is class I. It's something I would bring up, maybe there is a reason he left it like that.

VA5

#9 Post by VA5 »

I am curious how long you were braced? The midline should ideally be lined up but I think what is more important is that it look fairly center on your face... so if your bottom is a little left or right, it is okay. Also, what is more important IMO is your bite relation. Honestly, I can see a discrepancy between your right and left. Not sure if it's a bite situation, but I can see a lot more space between your bite on one side than the other. That would probably bother me more than anything. Which is why, I'm curious how long you were braced b/c it seems you probably should have been in them a little bit longer.

11lp

#10 Post by 11lp »

VA5, I had my braces for a year and seven months. Peaches, I am having an appointment on Monday so will definitely speak to my orthodontist about this. I may also talk to my general dentist about this to get another opinion. But I dont think my orthodontist will be able to do anything at this point because braces are already off...=(

seriousthinker

#11 Post by seriousthinker »

Hi,

I'm so glad you posted this. At my appointment today my ortho said we're concentrating on straightening up the pre-molars, then onto my lteral incisors and then try to pull my front teeth backward a bit as an overjet has developed on my right side. He said they might not pull right back in line though :( which has made me worried.

My husband thought they were fine to begin with so when he says they look great as they are I'm not sure how much I believe him. I am so critical of my teeth after hiding them for so long and as each tooth aligns I notice how misshapen they are on the bottom. If my ortho won't, I might need to visit a cosmetic dentist to have them shaped.

ST