facial changes with braces and/or surgery

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Olive

facial changes with braces and/or surgery

#1 Post by Olive »

Hi everyone! So, I'm due to get my braces on in under 2 days. I'm 26, and I have an overjet and open bite with minor crowding. I've had a few dentists recommend seeing an orthodontist over the years and I've been thinking abut it for a while. I have a sentence of 24-30 months in metal braces, and the orthodontist has also recommended surgery in about a year's time.

I'm freaked out by the idea of surgery (though I've not ruled it out, and will consult with the surgeon soon). Besides possible complications and health risks, what worries me most is potential facial changes. She's recommended both upper and lower jaw surgery- upper to reduce the vertical space, and lower for the lower jaw to be advanced (I have a somewhat long face, and somewhat weak chin- nothing extreme). I am used to the way I look and while I know there could be improvement, I'm worried about it going too far in the other direction- having a masculine-looking jaw or a too-short space between my nose and mouth, when I'm used to the opposite. I've looked at before and after photos and I confess I don't always think the "after" looks better! Ok, yes, in extreme cases it almost always does.

If I opt out of the surgery, I'll just get my teeth straightened with braces. The ortho think that this will help, but may not permanently close up my bite. Is there anyone who had similar issues to mine who just had braces, without surgery? Did you get a good result? Did that also change your facial appearance? I'm worried about my upper lip looking small, because my teeth won't be pushing it out. Or my nose looking bigger when my front teeth are pulled back.

To those who've had braces OR surgery, how did your face change? Are you happy with it? Is it what you expected?

Dani73

Re: facial changes with braces and/or surgery

#2 Post by Dani73 »

Hi Olive - If you look at my post history, you will see some of the before and after photo's I have put up. Yes it will change your appearance, but it depends on the movement they do during your surgery. But pop over the the Orthognathic section as they have before/after pics.

JFTR - I am still trying to get used to my 'new' look and I had my surgery back Nov 11.

Olive

#3 Post by Olive »

Hi Dani, thanks for your reply. Your results look great! I have looked at a lot of before and afters, both here and on people's blogs, surgeon's sites, etc. I think I do have similar issues to the ones you had, but less pronounced, which makes me wonder if surgery is too extreme. I'm scared of regretting it and missing my old (flawed, yes) face.

For now I'm going to get the braces on, see how that goes, and see how I feel about surgery in half a year, when I start to see some real movement in my teeth. I wonder, is it common for people to wait like that to decide about surgery?

What makes it even more confusing is that a lot of people at work have been telling me that they don't even think I need braces! I know they are not professionals, but it makes me question how I've been seeing myself all these years.

marc23

#4 Post by marc23 »

Will even using braces influence facial changes? Or is a surgery always necessary?