36 and getting ceramic braces in 2 weeks

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Abbey

36 and getting ceramic braces in 2 weeks

#1 Post by Abbey »

Hello, i new and not really sure if im posting or on someones personal message, im just really worried to get made fun of at this age and working in a factory doesn't help, any sugestions ?

Abbey

Re: 36 and getting ceramic braces in 2 weeks

#2 Post by Abbey »

Im 36 and getting ceramic braces, I worry people will bother me at work, we all know how factory's are. anyone have ideas ? lol maybe just keep my mouth shut...

BracedGeek

#3 Post by BracedGeek »

I have metal braces and so far no one has said anything.

I am pretty sure a snappy comeback would be helpful. I have a few in mind just in case:
I wanted to relive my tweenage years.
I was abducted by aliens and now I can't get these things off my teeth...
I'm doing a study on how many people will make rude comments about my appearance. Thanks for helping out.
Yes, I am getting my teeth worked on. Apparently you can improve on perfection.

Yeah, probably all too snarky for work.
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

MalteseFalcon

#4 Post by MalteseFalcon »

Awesome comebacks BracedGeek! It's actually a good idea to think of comebacks beforehand

Good luck with the braces Abbey. I'm getting mine next Monday

#5 Post by 207 »

Hi Abbey,

I'm a 36 yo male and just got my braces off last month after 15 months. I was worried about peoples comments prior to getting braced. What I found is people didn't care. People who are self conscious about their own teeth won't say anything. People who don't think about their teeth won't care what you're doing about yours. After the first few days people won't even notice them anymore.

Good Luck!!

threescompany

#6 Post by threescompany »

Hi Abbey, I'm 40 and just got braces this month. My experience so far, is that men don't say anything (either they don't notice or don't know what to say or don't care), and most women say "good for you!" I've had a few people tell me they didn't realize I needed braces, and a few have said they wish they had gotten them. But truly, most people don't say anything.

Good luck to you!
Braced on 3/18/11 at the tender age of 40

stepher7

#7 Post by stepher7 »

I agree with everyone else, no one has really said anything to me about mine. Either they haven't really noticed, or don't want to make it awkward by pointing it out lol I've also had most people tell me that they wouldn't have thought I'd need them, but I think it was because I got good at hiding the really bad parts so people didn't really notice! Anyway, the first week or two is weird getting used to having them in there, but once you start to see movement you'll be so glad you went ahead and did it!! And if anyone is rude, I personally think it's because they're jealous that you're brave enough to do this for yourself. I mean really, is it a bad thing to want to improve yourself in some way?? Good luck with everything!!

ashesgap

#8 Post by ashesgap »

BracedGeek wrote: I was abducted by aliens and now I can't get these things off my teeth...
I'm doing a study on how many people will make rude comments about my appearance. Thanks for helping out.
These are perfect! Every time i read the alien one i laugh again.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

kittykel29

#9 Post by kittykel29 »

I'm 35 and got all metal braces put on in early November. No one has commented on my braces yet; I guess they must not be that noticeable or its just not that big of a deal. Your braces will be even less noticeable if they are ceramic. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck with your treatment.

schar

#10 Post by schar »

When I chose to get braces I totally expected to get ripped on. It turned out NO ONE, even my best friends, who love to make fun about anything, made fun of me. I was actually quite disappointed really! I was looking forward to being made fun of!

BracesKing

#11 Post by BracesKing »

That great, I am 24 and I am getting iBraces. Two of my friends have these ceramic braces and they feel good. But, I like something like 100% invisibility. So, I went for iBraces. But heard that ceramic braces are more durable than these ibraces. What do you say?

nifer237

#12 Post by nifer237 »

threescompany wrote:My experience so far, is that men don't say anything (either they don't notice or don't know what to say or don't care), and most women say "good for you!" I've had a few people tell me they didn't realize I needed braces, and a few have said they wish they had gotten them. But truly, most people don't say anything.
I would second this, 100%! I am about to be 36 and vain as the day is long and I haven't had any issues yet. Most people are kind of fascinated by it.

impatientpatient

#13 Post by impatientpatient »

I'm 34 and most people have been really nice. Some talk about the braces they had when they were younger and some say I'm brave...some even say that they are thinking about getting their own teeth done. Nobody has been openly mean anyway!

petal

#14 Post by petal »

I have had my braces over 5 months, and only two people out of the hundreds of people I have met during this time has said anything negative....but I have known those two ladies for years and I know they are always trying to bring others down. Most people will either not notice them, ignore them, not care that you have them, or they will want to share their brace story with you, or they will wish they were brave enough to get them. Enjoy your time in braces, it will be whatever you make it so embrace the experience. Remember how awesome your smile will be in the end! Good luck.