3 wires to close gaps

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lyphta

3 wires to close gaps

#1 Post by lyphta »

So I got my 2nd premolars extracted (all 4) on Tuesday, and just got my wires put back in today.
Boy were my teeth really sore and sensitive when my ortho was putting the wires in. I actually teared for the first time and I've had my braces on for a while now.
And interestingly, she put 3 wires from my 1st premolar to my molar band to close the extraction gaps. Anyone else get these put on?
Here's an image of what it looks like, sorry it's kind of blurry!
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9761/wiresc.jpg
Estimated time: 24 months in Inovation-R

poppy123

Re: 3 wires to close gaps

#2 Post by poppy123 »

Ooooooo weird, have never seen three wires like that before, sorry x

tianna

#3 Post by tianna »

hi,I've got the same gap and my ortho put a "bumper"over the wire.Rubbery tube over the wire.Yours looks like a wire and elastic chain??Hard to tell.
I find I can't eat on the gapy side because it hurts my premolar and feels like it's pulling my incisors apart when food presses on the "bumper"wire.Do u get the same problem?

lyphta

#4 Post by lyphta »

@poppy123 - I've never seen this done on other people's posts and stuff either when I was looking around.

@tianna - hm, I'm not sure if it's an elastic chain, it looks just like the 1st wires we put in when we get braces - the thin light ones. But I'm with you on the food issues. It's really tough because the teeth are really sore right now and it's really difficult to even use my front teeth since they don't really touch my bottoms either. Hopefully the soreness and pain goes away for the both of us soon - I have my 21st birthday next week and I'd like to eat!

I am already seeing my 1st premolar moving since there's a slight gap between it and my canine. It's amazing how fast our teeth can move

watchingtherain

#5 Post by watchingtherain »

I have something similar over my extraction gaps :) except mine are sort of twisted together rather than side by side, but there's still three little wires. I was told it was to make sure they closed up nice and fast x

lyphta

#6 Post by lyphta »

@watchingtherain oh you have something similar too? I thought it was something rarely used because I've never seen this done on my friends or when I looked around the forums. I think I remember my ortho saying that as well. Have you seen any progress?

watchingtherain

#7 Post by watchingtherain »

@lyphta I've only had mine on a week, so no progress yet unfortunately haha. Yeah I haven't seen it much either, I think it's meant to be an alternative to power chains and the like :)

Ionika

#8 Post by Ionika »

yes, i have this also, it's just a long wire tie...

mine is used to keep the canine in place while the other canine reaches my other molar...

one canine was very rapid moving and got there first :) it kinda works..in 2 weeks my canine developed a 1 mm gap between my molar and itself but i guess it s normal... it can't be screwed -like inthere while it gas a big gap on its other side...