Permanent Retainers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smythe

Permanent Retainers

#1 Post by Smythe »

I was reading here on this website in Part Six: "After the Braces Come Off", that after having braces removed, you have to wear a retainer for a certain length of time, and then you can continue to wear it at night time after this. It appears that the teeth may shift again if the retainer is not worn.

It states there is also a permanent retainer available. It seems a good idea in that you don't have to keep removing and placing back the retainer on an ongoing basis. I presume you just have the permanent retainer set in place by the orthodontist.

Does anyone have any opinions on permanent retainers as opposed to temporary retainers? Are there any problems associated with a permanent retainer for an adult? Do you have to go back to the orthodontist every few years to have the permanent retainer checked?

Thank you!

farmboy

Re: Permanent Retainers

#2 Post by farmboy »

After my first (nearly four-year) stint with braces, I demanded that the orthodontist "glue on the retainers, otherwise I'll never keep them in." (Yeah, yeah, I know--but I was 13!)

Anyhow, I wore a permanent retainer on the front of my upper teeth that looked like clear braces, and another behind my bottom teeth. I wore them for several years, with checks every six months the first two years. I liked that I didn't have to worry about taking them out, putting them on, losing them, etc.

First, the professional opinion: My new orthodontist discourages patients from using permanent retainers, mainly because of cleaning issues. You have to floss underneath them, just like braces. The bottom retainers particularly love to gather plaque which can cause other problems.

My personal opinion: I don't think they're worth it, despite the plusses I listed above. Some of my bottom teeth moved slightly even when the retainer was glued on! The other thing is, my retainers were only attached to the front teeth. That separation from my molars allowed my overbite to grow back and my molars to shift...exactly why I'm in the middle of Round 2 now. Hawley retainers allow the orthodontist to adjust things if teeth start to wander again.

Sorry for the long post. Hope that helps.

peaches

#3 Post by peaches »

Some people have both. I will have top and bottom permanent retainers, plus removable. I think the main disadvantage to permanent retainers is that is it more difficult to floss with them in.

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

My ortho seems to really like permanent retainers, but i've decided against them. The back of the bottom front teeth are plaque magnets already, and I can't imagine having something there just collecting the ick. I figure with all the work you're putting into having braces, retainers shouldn't be too big of an issue. At some point you do change over to night time only wear, that seems pretty easy to me.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

peckabel

#5 Post by peckabel »

Well im on my 3rd set of braces and im getting permanent retainers when im finished and I am SO happy about it. I wore my retainer as instructed and as soon as i stopped using it they moved again. So I personally think they are worth it.....

wheellug2

#6 Post by wheellug2 »

You can get the permanent retainers that are have the swiggles ( s - shape ) so you can floss in between. I just got them and I don't have to use the threader. I did have to ask my ortho specifically for it.

catgyrl

#7 Post by catgyrl »

You can get the permanent retainers that are have the swiggles ( s - shape ) so you can floss in between. I just got them and I don't have to use the threader. I did have to ask my ortho specifically for it.
Do you happen to know the exact name of that type of retainer? I'd like to ask my ortho about it, when my time comes. Thanks!!

Edit: Nevermind - I found a pic of it. It's called a "Flossable" or "S-retainer". Makes sense... haha Here's a pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luchababe

#8 Post by luchababe »

That flossable retainer looks magnificent! What a genius idea, I hope the inventor is a millionaire by now. I'd rather get one of those than the straight kind. I always wondered how you flossed in the straight kind!

wheellug2

#9 Post by wheellug2 »

Those are the retainers, I have mine on and they work like a charm. Can floss like normal and I am already used to them.