New to braces question!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Faerie

New to braces question!

#1 Post by Faerie »

Hi everyone! I am 28 years old (well I will be later this month) and getting braces put on for the first time on May 31. I got my spacers on yesterday, which was quite an experience in and of itself since I have pretty severe crowding in my mouth. I had to get metal spacers on the top left side of my mouth which are very unconfortable.. nothing unbearable though.

My question is regarding wisdom teeth, however. All 4 of my wisdom teeth are impacted and this shows up pretty obviously on x-rays. I have never gotten them extracted and I asked my orthodontist if this needed to be done prior to having my braces put on and he said not necessarily. He has decided to go ahead and put the braces on and assess later whether or not the wisdom teeth need to come out during treatment. (I think they will need to come out eventually either way).

I am wondering if this is normal and if anyone else had had wisdom teeth extracted during or after orthodontic treatment. I don't want to put a ton of money into something that doesn't work out because I didn't follow the proper procedures.

Thanks!

Leesa

Re: New to braces question!

#2 Post by Leesa »

My ortho is going to do another xray later on to see whats happening with my wisdom teeth, i know i will need atleast one out as it is growing sideways towards my other teeth. So i guess it is normal, i would prefer to get mine out before i finish my treatment because i too don't want them to ruin my new smile

kaddessi

#3 Post by kaddessi »

I'm wondering about my wisdom teeth also. I'll be 25 in August and still have all 4 wisdom teeth in. I occasionally feel pressure and gets headaches and when I was 20 I was told they are growing in sideways but my ortho said what yours said. To not worry about it. But I am worrying about it because I don't want the wisdom teeth pushing on my straight teeth down the road. I haven't got my braces yet, I go get 6 extractions on Friday (FIVE baby teeth!) and then I'll get bands on the molars June 7th. Braces go on June 15th! Anyway, I asked the regular dentist yesterday while getting a filling and he told me to ask the oral surgeon! I'll be asking the surgeon on Thursday when I go for the consultation.

PrincessLea

#4 Post by PrincessLea »

My orthodontist/surgeon decided to get my braces on first and then extract my wisdom teeth whilst the braces were on!

so i think either way is normal!! Brace yourself (no pun intended :wink: ) wisdom teeth removal ain't easy!!

kmluvgod

#5 Post by kmluvgod »

Hi Faerie just wanted to drop in and tell you my lil experience with wisdom teeth. My orthdontist decided to get the wisdom teeth along with 3 more teeth pulled first and boy am I in pain not to scare you b/c the extractions went great but b/c I have small jaws and the position the teeth was in you can only imagine. But I have read plenty of journies thats going through what you are going through. Congrats on your journey and keep us updated.

Faerie

#6 Post by Faerie »

Thanks for the replies! I feel a little better now about waiting on getting my wisdom teeth out. I'm going to ask my ortho at the next appointment if I should do it while braced or afterwards.

kaddessi

#7 Post by kaddessi »

I spoke to the oral surgeon yesterday and we decided to take my wisdom teeth out. He said I'm already behind the curve in getting them out and the question is not if they will come in but when. So we decided to do it all at once when I was already under IV sedation.
I actually had the extractions this morning! About 6 hours ago I had 10 teeth pulled. 4 wisdom, 5 baby and 1 adult. I'm doing okay with the pain. He prescribed me percocet so I take percocet one hour then 3 hours later ib profeun 3 hours later perocet and so on. The procedure went great. I thought I was awake the whole time but as time goes on I am realizing that I was probably only awake for the last 10 mins, if that! He had to leave a root of a baby tooth but said it won't be a problem. I'm still numb but the bleeding has almost vanished and the swelling is a lot better than it was. I have a small mouth so he said it will be more swollen. So so far so good. Nothing like I expected (I expected worse). But my husband keeps telling me that it will get worse. We will see.