Bleeding from spacers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Faerie

Bleeding from spacers?

#1 Post by Faerie »

I have had my spacers around my molars since May 16. I am supposed to have my braces installed on Monday. Last night while I was brushing my teeth, my bottom right molar or the gums around it started bleeding. It wasn't just a tiny bit of pink like you see from time to time, but it was bright red blood and quite a bit of it too for the few seconds that the bleeding was going on. I had some dental work done on this tooth a couple months ago. I had a cavity filled and a root scaling done around the gums of that tooth. Does this sound normal? The bleeding has stopped, but I am worried that this is going to set me back and delay my braces going on. I plan to call the orthodontist office later when they open. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and what to expect.

Faerie

Re: Bleeding from spacers?

#2 Post by Faerie »

Just an update- I ended up going into the orthodontist office and they replaced the affected spacer which had gotten a rather large chunk of food lodged in it. Apparently this caused the bleeding and now that it has been replaced it is already feeling a lot better. Everything is still a go on my braces for Tuesday.