Eating Lunch!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kirsten2011

Eating Lunch!

#1 Post by Kirsten2011 »

A work colleague offered to buy me lunch today, steak roll and chips (or fries for those in the USA ) :) Not wanting to be rude, I accepted, knowing what a mission eating this is going to be... and hour after the meal was bought and I am still trying to consume it... the steak is lovely and already cut into strips, but of course not being able to just pick up the roll and bite into it, means i am eating the chips first, then bits of steak, then breaking up the soggy roll. Oh the joys of braces ;)
On a another note, i just checked my diary and realised my check up is not on this Monday, its only on the 20th June... so i have another week of no pain, yay :) :)
Have a good day everyone, will try and update more often :flowerbloom: :BigTeethGrin:

Iam918

Re: Eating Lunch!

#2 Post by Iam918 »

I've stopped trying to eat sandwiches, esp. ones on rolls, subs or hard bread. I'll eat the innards and leave the bread on the plate.

:mrgreen:
First time in braces @ 34
Braced: March 24, 2011
Estimated completion time: 30 mo's
May 19, 2011 - Oral Surgery to remove:
3 Wisdom Teeth, 1 Broken Molar & 1 Baby Canine tooth; plus expose & chain Impacted canine

kreyFL

#3 Post by kreyFL »

What is it with steak? Steak is the worst for me. Sometimes it isnt too hard to eat it, but getting that cleaned out of my braces and brackets is super annoying. Pretty much anything bready, stringy, or noodley is the most difficult for me, LOL

Jensniffer

#4 Post by Jensniffer »

I'm almost 2 weeks in with my braces and tried to get a grilled chicken burger today, well that was a joke! I ended up tearing it into little bits and eating it that way. I can't bite anything down with my front teeth, it feels too weird. Will this change for me the longer I have them on?

Nikkistixx06

#5 Post by Nikkistixx06 »

Ah I miss bagels!!! :(
Nikki
26 years old Braced April 2011

http://26yr-old-mommy-n-braces.blogspot.com/

ImageImage

tkna

#6 Post by tkna »

I just got my braces on today and I had ramen for dinner and man it took forever to eat it. I made sure to make it extra soupy and it took me almost an hour to finish it. Before braces I was a slow eater now with braces I am even slower than before. :-+ I am still trying to adjust to lightly chewing but it is not working ended gulping it down.

lilwinno

#7 Post by lilwinno »

yall are not the only one out there. seems like i cant enjoy now what i was eating before i got braces. i always have to think to myself if im going to be able to bite it or chew it without popping off any of my brackets. i guess it just takes time of getting use to having food all over your braces when your eating. hahaha. thats part of the journey!

Robot Teeth

#8 Post by Robot Teeth »

Oh geez I hadn't considered that! I am a notoriously slow eater, usually taking about twice as long to eat the same thing as either one of my best friends takes. I don't know how they do it. They don't even bother to taste or grind up the food (chew) before it just gets forced down the hatch. I'm already annoyed by their unnecessarily-rushed eating as it is. Oh well, I guess they'll just have to either slow down or sit there and freakin' wait for me!

gaz

#9 Post by gaz »

Don't worry, you'll appreciate eating so much more when they're off - and everything will taste better!

BreEazy628

#10 Post by BreEazy628 »

I can truly relate. Even with pizza. I keep a knife and fork in my purse wherever I go.

Robot Teeth

#11 Post by Robot Teeth »

Could you (anybody reading) eat chips and salsa, or would the chips be too crunchy? And how about hummus with pita bread that is very soft and chewy, about a quarter inch thick?

Those are 2 staple foods in my diet, and I really hope to be able to eat them with braces!

Rach44

#12 Post by Rach44 »

Robot Teeth wrote:Could you (anybody reading) eat chips and salsa, or would the chips be too crunchy? And how about hummus with pita bread that is very soft and chewy, about a quarter inch thick?

Those are 2 staple foods in my diet, and I really hope to be able to eat them with braces!
I have eaten chips and salsa more than once. I know I'm not supposed to, but I broke them into small pieces and chewed very carefully. I can't say on the pita bread, but I think if you were really careful you'd be okay. :)

Estimated Treatment Time: 30 Months

drgnchsr36

#13 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Rach44 wrote:
Robot Teeth wrote:Could you (anybody reading) eat chips and salsa, or would the chips be too crunchy? And how about hummus with pita bread that is very soft and chewy, about a quarter inch thick?

I have eaten chips and salsa more than once. I know I'm not supposed to, but I broke them into small pieces and chewed very carefully. I can't say on the pita bread, but I think if you were really careful you'd be okay. :)
I luuuuuuuuuuuuve chips and salsa.. and I eat that all the time. I just end up chewing them slowly..and having to clean extra carefully. But, that was something I couldn't give up.

Kirsten2011

#14 Post by Kirsten2011 »

hello everyone, thanks for all the replies! So glad I am not alone in this 'not being able to eat properly' thing haha!!! With it being Winter here in South Africa, oranges are in abundance, and its so sad to see everyone happily eating their oranges.... when i try it, it just gets stuck all over my brackets and flossing then becomes even more of a nightmare, having to pull all those little bits of white out from the braces and between my teeth..... REALLY!!!!! :FeelSick: :-=
But yes, am looking forward to the days when once again i can eat without concious thought... until then, choose your food wisely ya'all!! :) xxx :wink: :P

TinySmiley

#15 Post by TinySmiley »

I've tried to eat chips before, but I got too worried cuz they are so crunchy (don't want brackets to break), so I haven't had them again.

I love hummus and I usually eat it with tiny pieces of a begal and I'm OK. :wink:
Invisalign: September 2009-May 2011
Ceramic Braces: May 2011-December 2011