New guy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TrevorTX

New guy

#1 Post by TrevorTX »

Hey everyone! 30 year old male from Texas here. I decided to get braces to fix my mega huge gap between my two top front teeth(think Michael Strahan). Ive had them on since 6-3-2011 and have used this site for therapy and research ever since! I was able to tolerate the initial pain of getting braces, but yesterday my orthodontist decided to put a power chain on to start closing my gap. This pain is excruciating! No pain no gain :)

ann0rz

Re: New guy

#2 Post by ann0rz »

Hello!

Good luck with that! Gap closing can be a pretty fun process - when I was having my premolar moved back to where it was supposed to go, it was like closing a gap (since I'm missing my canine, and the premolar had decided that made it OK to move in where the canine was supposed to be!) I'd stare at it everyday and take out my measuring tape to see how much it moved, and before I knew it, viola! Gap closed (though another one opened...).

Are you just having your uppers braced, then? Do you know how long your sentence is supposed to be yet?

ArchWired28

#3 Post by ArchWired28 »

Glad I am not alone and good luck with your treatment. You will be debraced in no time at all! :flowerbloom:
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

TrevorTX

#4 Post by TrevorTX »

Yeah just upper. He told me worst case scenario is 20 months.

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

I had gaps between my top front four teeth due to missing laterals. I can't tell you how exciting it is to see those gaps closed, after years of not smiling because of them. Even with giant open spaces for new canines, I smile way more now than before.
One thing that does happen for adult patients is pain at the beginning, then it goes away for about two weeks, then right before a four week adjustment it starts to hurt again. My ortho said it mostly only happens to adults. So even if it stops hurting soon after a new power chain or wire, those things are still working four weeks later.
Good Luck!
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

seriousthinker

#6 Post by seriousthinker »

Hi,

I got a powerchain on tuesday and I'm still sore! This is worse than first being braced. Living on mashed potato and ice cream.

ST

TrevorTX

#7 Post by TrevorTX »

Yep still sore here too, but its getting better!

sea54change

#8 Post by sea54change »

At different points of time, I had an elastic thread that tied 2 teeth together, to close gaps. The first 3-4 days were terrible!
Bottom braces: 9-1-10
Top Braces: 12-1-10, enamel
Debrace date:Top 12-12-11
Bottom: 1-5-2012

mnmetalmouth

#9 Post by mnmetalmouth »

My ortho put a power chain on the first day I got braced. It doesn't hurt much as long as I don't eat anything.