Question - re flattening contact points to make space

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Doubledice

Question - re flattening contact points to make space

#1 Post by Doubledice »

I've been speaking with a few people at work when they ask me questions about my braces and 'how on earth will they all fit'. I tried to take a picture to illustrate how they are positioned bout if you think about it like that, my two immediate front teeth are fine, looking front on, my left tooth next to it is behind my two front and the one on the right essentially grew alot behind. My ortho has not put a bracket on that one as she needs to make space. In the treatment plan, shes indicated that in order to make space, she will flatten the contact points of the lower anterior teeth to give 4mm space for my crossbite. I dont know what she will do for the front ones. Could anyone please explain to me how teeth are flattened to make space? will it generally involve grinding them down abit when she needs to do them? I'm just on 3 weeks into having braces, they're going ok at the moment :D

poppy123

Re: Question - re flattening contact points to make space

#2 Post by poppy123 »

Could be IPR? That is where they file the edges of your teeth to make room. I had 0.5 mm done either side as the two teeth next to my front teeth wouldnt fit in the gap otherwise. When it had been done I was all happy for a while but the gaps closed very quickly. It doesn't hurt, it didn't bother me at all, the instrument just makes your head vibrate a bit! Then for the next few appts he used like a metal nail file to take a tiny bit more off.

poppy123

#3 Post by poppy123 »

Ha ha It was supposed to say all 'gappy' not 'happy' lol .... Damn autocorrect! :)

Doubledice

#4 Post by Doubledice »

so essentially it sounds like a grinder/drill? i have major drill fear :P

Doubledice

#5 Post by Doubledice »

bump

TumbleDryLow

#6 Post by TumbleDryLow »

It can be drill type sander with a disk that spins or a hand file. Most orthos use the drill type. I hate, hate, hate drills as well. I had quite a bit of IPR done between my front teeth then some on the tops of my molars to adjust the contact points of my bite. I won't lie. I found it an uncomfortable experience. But it was over in a few seconds. You'll be fine.

Doubledice

#7 Post by Doubledice »

ty for the facts :D was getting a little worried there.