Ceramic brackets feel like razors by end of day?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blackbeltfundraiser

Ceramic brackets feel like razors by end of day?

#1 Post by Blackbeltfundraiser »

By end of day, these brackets feel like razors on my gums/inside mouth. They are not too bad in the am and mid afternoon, but there seems to a point every afternoon where it feels like they are just shredding the insides of my mouth. What's this about? Am i not drinking enough water or something? Suggestions for managing discomfort - besides the wax and ambusol route?

TumbleDryLow

Re: Ceramic brackets feel like razors by end of day?

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

During the day you are talking and eating; constantly abrading the inside of your mouth. It makes sense that after 8 hours of this, your mouth feels like it got into a fight with a cheese grater. Overnight your mouth is given a break and can heal a bit. You're already doing what there is to be done---wax. Staying hydrated is good. Brackets tend to abrade more if your mouth is dry. Don't worry. Your mouth will toughen up over time and eventually it won't feel like crap. Hang in there.

Crazy4Snow

#3 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Yes...I know what you mean and agree with what Tumble says. Take wax with you and when the pain starts...apply wax. Wax has saved my life! My cheeks would be raw, I started using wax and those raw spots would heal and be "tough". Now I hardly have any problems at all and if I do i use wax on that spot for a few days to give it time to heal and then it's fine.

Hang in there.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

musicluver

#4 Post by musicluver »

Yep - they definitely were cutting up the back of my upper lip too. When I'm at work I am constantly talking and can get some really bad sores. I teach and have been pretty quiet all summer so I haven't used much wax at all. But I would recommend you pile it on them during the day when you know you will be talking a lot. Zilactin in also great for any sores you may incur. I have ceramic on my uppers and metal on the lowers and they can really cut up the bottom lip, too! This whole process is such a constant struggle for me - seems like each day a new sore area crops up :crazy: . Hang in there and good luck!
MusicLuver

BracedinBoston6432

#5 Post by BracedinBoston6432 »

This is why I decided on metal brackets.

44AndWired

#6 Post by 44AndWired »

Also, a warm salt water rinse will help to heal the sores. I am on day 3 of ceramic braces so trust me I know what you mean. I have been using wax since I got home day 1. I will definitely have to bye some more.

chainreaction

#7 Post by chainreaction »

I have ceramics on top ...for the first month I could not watch comedys because the laughing would cause my mouth so much pain...the things we learn with braces .... :(