Newbie here! :D

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pinkorchid

Newbie here! :D

#1 Post by pinkorchid »

Hi there! Well I am finally getting braces in 2.5 weeks (I am 28), and I am so excited... yet apprehensive. I am not sure what to expect at all, and have been googling like a mad woman trying to get some idea, and came across this forum! I will be getting the clear brackets on the top and regular on the bottom.

Hopefully some of you can fill me in on what to expect good/bad/ugly etc etc.

Looking forward to sharing my orthodontic journey with you! :D

TinySmiley

Re: Newbie here! :D

#2 Post by TinySmiley »

welcome to the board, pinkorchid! :)
this is a great place to ask questions, I've learned a lot and was prepared for a lot of things due to reading the threads/people's friendly advice :wink:
getting the braces on doesn't hurt (or mine didn't anyway), but your teeth will be sore for a few weeks after. The amount of pain varies from person to person. My pain wasn't so bad, but get used to eating soft foods for the first few weeks :wink: You will get used to your braces fairly quickly, at first it feel so weird, mouth will feel so heavy with the braces in, but soon they will feel very comfortable. My biggest annoyance with braces is the brushing. SO MUCH BRUSHING!! I only brush 3 times a day, but it takes a while due to me cleaning around my braces, water flosser, proxa brush....the best part is seeing the results. When you see it working, you'll want to keep going. Good luck in your journey!! :HugeGrin:
Invisalign: September 2009-May 2011
Ceramic Braces: May 2011-December 2011

kennyandrew85

#3 Post by kennyandrew85 »

congrats on getting your braces! I'm 26 and have upper clear and lower metal, seen some great improvements already! It does ache a little for the first day or 2, then you feel the odd sharp pain if you bite into anything hard like a baguette! but after a few days it's really quite comfortable!

Im so happy I took this step and I'm confident it will be the best decision I ever made.
Once you see that first bit of movement it all becomes a better experience and I'm desperate for each adjustment to come round as soon as possible.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Crazy4Snow

#4 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Welcome and congratulations! Eat everything you love for the next 2.5 weeks because that is the biggest thing (and constant) that will change in your life. Also, be prepared for major pain initially, some have it and some don't so it's best to be prepared. Take something the day you get your braces. Most people start to feel pain after about 4 hours of having them on and that may continue for up to a week.

Other than that get ready to see improvements in your smile. How exciting for you! Yay!

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

rhuj

#5 Post by rhuj »

Hey PinkOrchid!

Im a newbie too ( I'm 34) and this site is a god send. So glad I found it - only had mine on for 5 days ;)

Rhu

QueenElizabeth

#6 Post by QueenElizabeth »

Welcome! Welcome!

:thumbsup: Newbie here also!! Google was a good friend, but I think at some point I over did it, I over worried and before I knew it the top braces were on. :mrgreen: I had to get a two brackets replaced already and let me tell you, that forgetting to take a pain reliever before going back to the ortho was a big mistake!! :oops: So definitely take an Advil before you go in and you should be fine. Everything else will fall into place. :-#)

I don't know what I would do without the friendly advice I've received on this board. Everyone's so helpful and kind! :rose:

Best Advice Ever!! :arrow:
Crazy4Snow wrote:Welcome and congratulations! Eat everything you love for the next 2.5 weeks because that is the biggest thing (and constant) that will change in your life.
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
-Bob Marley

pinkorchid

#7 Post by pinkorchid »

Thank you all for your kind words and warm welcome :)

I have been having a read through the braces stories, and I am even more excited to start my journey... I will be even more excited when I actually have them on and can see a difference. I have also been looking at the photos on the homepage photo album and am amazed at how fast and dramatic the difference is after just a few weeks! It's nice to see REAL people, not models who already have perfect teeth wearing braces for promos.

My DH had braces when he was a chid, and he hasn't been too helpful in the advice department besides telling me it "will hurt like H ell", I figure I have had a baby, so I am sure I can put up with a little pain. But I will be taking some painkillers before they are put on.. but other than that, he's pretty supportive :) Everyone is braces journey seems to be different, so I am hoping mine is relatively uneventful!

I do need to start taking some before shots to keep so I can see the differences. Quick question - can you use an electric toothbrush with braces, or will it damage them?

:D

kennyandrew85

#8 Post by kennyandrew85 »

having a baby is EASY compared to braces.. just kidding!
You can use electric toothbrush yep, first few days you might not want to as it might feel a bit sore but after that it's fine.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Crazy4Snow

#9 Post by Crazy4Snow »

pinkorchid wrote:Quick question - can you use an electric toothbrush with braces, or will it damage them? :D
Girl, you may not want to use an electric brush for about a week or maybe even 2, but after that it actually feels good to use one. As well as a Waterpik! O.M.G, it's like a jacuzzi for your teeth and gums. And both clean your teeth and braces soooooo well!

I wrote a post about all my "cleaning tools of the trade" on my blog, some find it very helpful. You can read about it here:

http://tinselteethchronicles.blogspot.c ... attle.html

My story in this forum:

Metal Upper & Lower

pinkorchid

#10 Post by pinkorchid »

lol @ kennyandrew85! If having a baby is easy, I should be okay then ;)

Crazy4Snow - Thanks for the link! That's some heavy duty equipment you got there! I will look into a Waterpik. We don't have Walmarts in Australia, but I will have a look online. Thanks again :)

Cudi

#11 Post by Cudi »

The good: Your teeth will straighten, you can see a noticeable difference EVERY time you get them tightened, and you will have more self-confidence.

The bad: Your teeth will hurt, and you will have to learn how to eat food differently.

The ugly: Sometimes you'll bleed, get bruised, or lay awake at night not being able to sleep.

A large price to pay, but worth it in the end.

Crazy4Snow

#12 Post by Crazy4Snow »

pinkorchid wrote:Crazy4Snow - Thanks for the link! That's some heavy duty equipment you got there! I will look into a Waterpik. We don't have Walmarts in Australia, but I will have a look online. Thanks again :)
Oops, didn't see that you lived down under. :oops: You can order them online at Amazon, if not there I'm sure there are other online carriers. :wink:

My story in this forum:

Metal Upper & Lower

pinkorchid

#13 Post by pinkorchid »

[quote="Crazy4Snow"][quote="pinkorchid"]Crazy4Snow - Thanks for the link! That's some heavy duty equipment you got there! I will look into a Waterpik. We don't have Walmarts in Australia, but I will have a look online. Thanks again :)[/quote]

Oops, didn't see that you lived down under. :oops: You can order them online at Amazon, if not there I'm sure there are other online carriers. :wink:[/quote]

No problems! I managed to find one on an Australian Dental hygiene site so thanks for the tip! :)

Cudi: I am used to many a sleepless night with an 8mo teething baby, but the pain and the brusing I am not so parital too.:P Oh well, the result at the end will be worth it! I have found since deciding to finally get braces and having my initial appointment, I have become more self conscious about my teeth - has anyone else had this? -, so I am very much looking forward to gaining some of my self confidence back! :)

I have just checked my appointment card and realised I will be getting braced in 11 DAYS!! OMG!!! (I stated 2.5 in OP - sorry baby brain lol) The countdown is well and truly on! :D