Clinching teeth and first adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lilwinno

Clinching teeth and first adjustment

#1 Post by lilwinno »

So just an update on whats going on with my braces. Its been two months since I gotten my braces. Im already seeing changes and movements throughout my mouth. My bottom teeth have straightened out alot but theres more movement that needs to be done. One thing that I have noticed since I have gotten my braces is Im clinching my teeth alot now, I didnt do this before I got braces. I understand that my bite are changing because of the movement of the teeth but I am worried it will cost more problems. My ortho said that everytime I clinch my teeth together it prolongs the whole treatment. Does anyone else have this problem?? If so, what did you end up doing to stop clinching your teeth.

I went for my first adjustment monday. My ortho ended up repositioning one of the bottom brackets to twist inward to straightened. They added a powerchain in the first premolar to make some room and to straightened that tooth out. They also took out the spring between central incisors and canine and added a longer piece of spring to make more room for the lateral incisors. Also, they put a "button" (a metal bracket) on my lateral incisors to connect to the spring so the tooth will be pulled to the front while the spring make room for that tooth. My mouth did not feel to bad after my appointment; it was just a little sore but the next day was totally different story. The whole right side of my mouth was killing me. Touching those teeth with my tongue was aweful. I even tried to chew sugar free gum to get rid of the soreness a little bit but as soon as the gym touched my teeth on the right side, almost brought me into tears. I wasnt expecting for it to hurt that much. I have to stick with soup for right now until the soreness die down a bit. I just tell myself the pain will be worth it in the end. =)
ღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸. ღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸.ღღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸. ღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸.ღღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸. ღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸.ღ

Crazy4Snow

Re: Clinching teeth and first adjustment

#2 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Same here. I never clenched my jaw or ground my teeth until I got braces. During the day I just made myself relax my jaw and thankfully at night, after about 8 weeks, I stopped grinding my teeth. Had I not though, my ortho was going to fit me with some type of night guard. He told me this often happens and usually people who don't grind initially will start, for those who don't stop it on their own they wear the night guard.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

lilwinno

#3 Post by lilwinno »

I will try the same method and I hope it will work for me also... Thank you. =)
ღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸. ღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸.ღღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸. ღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸.ღღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸. ღ¸.♥´´¯`•.¸¸.ღ

Jannie

#4 Post by Jannie »

I just asked my ortho about this two days ago when I had my first adjustment. He told me that wearing a guard would slow down the process and that clenching is a typical response in these early stages of change in my bite. Essentially, he said not to worry about it

Jenn B

#5 Post by Jenn B »

I went through the same thing with clenching. I asked my ortho about this and he said it's perfectly normal to experience this. He said it's your jaw muscles trying to find their new comfort spots.

lilwinno

#6 Post by lilwinno »

Thank you all. Im glad im not the only one going through this.

bracketeer

#7 Post by bracketeer »

I as well am glad to hear I'm not the only one going through this!
Embraced in a heavy metal romance with Damon since 8/10/11. This affair is destined to last at least 12 months : )

AM21

#8 Post by AM21 »

Same here! It's been driving me nuts! Especially when I have my teeth clenched and my upper teeth slip off my lower teeth and I end up biting the inside of my cheek... Not a great way to wake up... :| So glad I'm not the only one dealing with this!
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

sweetembraceable

#9 Post by sweetembraceable »

I clenched my teeth before braces. I asked my ortho if it will hurt my treatment and he said no. (And my dentist said he'd make me a night guard when my treatment is done, perhaps in lieu of a retainer, if my ortho agrees.) So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

klobird

#10 Post by klobird »

I used to wear a VERY expensive night guard before braces. Ya, the clenching,grinding got even worse after getting the braces on.

On this website I found though that online you can look up under Plackers Grind No More and order a free sample. They are small but fit perfectly for me because I wear elastics, and any other night guard makes it impossible to wear the elastics.

The big bummer for me--I spent an additional $300 to get the night guard I already had tweaked to fit even better--and then I decided to get braces..... And this night guard is never going to be useful again........ Oh well..... :roll:

sibilla

#11 Post by sibilla »

Happening to me too! Driving me insane, I wake up every morning with my teeth tightly clenched. Never experienced anything like it so it's good to hear it's normal. It's so good to have this forum to get answers to questions you might feel a bit daft about asking the orthodontist!

ArchWired28

#12 Post by ArchWired28 »

I do. But probably I have done it before, albeit never noticed. When I feel like clenching, I try to relax my jaw.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.