8 Days in

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

44AndWired

8 Days in

#1 Post by 44AndWired »

Well, I am 8 days into having my braces on. Most of the discomfort is gone. I have ceramic braces and they still scratch my gums and lips. I haven't had to use the wax in a few days, so I guess it is getting better. Can anyone tell me how long will it be before the braces become more comfortable in my mouth? I hate the feeling. Especially when my mouth gets dry and they feel like sandpaper rubbing against my gums. :ThumbsDown:

tarabears

Re: 8 Days in

#2 Post by tarabears »

Hey 44AndWired, first of all congrats on getting braces! I'm 2 weeks into having braces and I have ceramic uppers as well. I'm just now starting to feel a bit more comfortable wearing these things and both my gums and cheeks have toughened up quite a bit from all the rough treatment they've been put through lately :P Each person has a different mouth / bite so I'm sure the braces affect each individual differently, so it's hard to say how long it'll take for them to be more comfortable on you.

My discomfort with them seems to stem from the fact I have a small mouth and the wings of the molar band with the hooks dig into my cheeks every now and then when I smile or eat. It's definitely not fun but I can feel my cheeks slowly getting tougher since it doesn't hurt as much or happen as often. Luckily though I haven't had the problems many others have with the brackets hurting the inside of my lips.

Just keep using the wax until the pain goes away from whatever area they are bothering, and try not to use it any more than that. That way your mouth will get used to it them quicker. Good luck!
Tara, 25 yrs old.
Braced 07/19/11. Ceramic uppers, metal lowers.

44AndWired

#3 Post by 44AndWired »

Thank you Tara! I can't wait to get to that point. The next thing that bothers the hell out of me is the food getting stuck in my braces and brackets. I think I have the cleanest teeth I have ever had because I brush immediately after eating since I hate the feeling of food in my teeth. LOL I see you are getting your 1st adjustment at 6 weeks, I am getting mine at 4 weeks. I wonder what's the difference in time and why.

Doubledice

#4 Post by Doubledice »

just remember to floss, i learned my lesson today 8 weeks after getting them on....not pretty