Flossing with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AM21

Flossing with braces

#1 Post by AM21 »

I've been struggling to floss with my braces. The first couple of days of having braces, my teeth were really too sore to floss them, so I didn't. When the pain disappeared, I was able to floss all my teeth except for my lower front teeth (they're too close together) and my upper and lower back teeth. When I tried to floss my lower front teeth, the floss would get stuck and shred inbetween my teeth. I'm unable to floss my back teeth because I can't get my floss threader under the wire. Is there an easier way to floss? I know how important it is, and it has been bothering me that I haven't been able to fully finish flossing.

Thanks in advance!

Snowglobe32

Re: Flossing with braces

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Overtime those teeth will move and it will create space so it will be easier.

Have you tried a thinner floss?

AM21

#3 Post by AM21 »

No, I haven't tried a thinner floss. I've just been using the floss that came with my dental cleaning kit.

catgyrl

#4 Post by catgyrl »

I've always had crowded teeth that would break floss every single time I used it. Might I suggest you try Crest Glide Threader Floss? It comes in individually wrapped packs of 30. One end of it is stiff (like the end of a shoelace), which you use to thread under your wire so you can floss. It slides through my teeth much more easily than any other floss.

Good luck!
-Cathy

Jensniffer

#5 Post by Jensniffer »

floss is my mortal enemy as well, I use the dental tape, it glides better.

AM21

#6 Post by AM21 »

Giving a quick update! I bought the Crest Glide floss yesterday and used it last night. It is amazing! I was able to floss without any problems at all. Thank you all for the suggestions!
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Try either Glide Threader Floss or Plackers OrthoPick Flossers. Both are available at DentaKit.com.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

soldiergirl

#8 Post by soldiergirl »

I have that same problem as well. My bottom teeth are crowded and it hurts so much to floss. I struggle to get the floss in between my teeth and when I do I am in so much pain. The floss shreds. Right now I still have a very thin piece stuck in either my teeth or bracket. I can't tell. I can only feel it with my tongue and I can't seem to get it out. I end up using anbesol to numb the pain after I floss because it really hurts. I'm going to try the suggestions mentioned.

xGa12yx

#9 Post by xGa12yx »

Flossing was one thing I hated most about having braces. It just takes forever. But, a week into my braces treatment my friend that also had braces recommended that I get a Water Flosser by WaterPik. It's about $50 and I can say it's so worth it. They have a special attachment for braces and it cleans your brackets really well and I use the Classic Jet tip for my gumline. According to the manufacturer is that its 3x more effective than regular flosisng. I seriously love my waterpik... it's so much easier to floss and you also save so much time! It takes about a minute to floss both upper and lower. You should really look into getting one. You'll thank me later. HEHE.

AM21

#10 Post by AM21 »

xGa12yx wrote:Flossing was one thing I hated most about having braces. It just takes forever. But, a week into my braces treatment my friend that also had braces recommended that I get a Water Flosser by WaterPik. It's about $50 and I can say it's so worth it. They have a special attachment for braces and it cleans your brackets really well and I use the Classic Jet tip for my gumline. According to the manufacturer is that its 3x more effective than regular flosisng. I seriously love my waterpik... it's so much easier to floss and you also save so much time! It takes about a minute to floss both upper and lower. You should really look into getting one. You'll thank me later. HEHE.
I'll definately start looking into that! Since you have a waterpik, do you only use that or do you floss with regular floss as well?

xGa12yx

#11 Post by xGa12yx »

When I'm at home I use my waterpik. But at work or If I'm out somewhere I'll always have floss available just in case I might need it. But I would say I use my waterpik 90% of the time to floss and it gets the job done. If you have a costco around you...I think they have a special right now... You can buy the dual pack for $79. It comes with the Cordless/Travel one and One for your restroom that you keep plugged in. I wish I would've got it there instead. I bought just the cordless one for 50 bucks. But yeah, check it out. You will like it... guaranteed!

quiggle

#12 Post by quiggle »

I also use the waterpik with the orthodonitc head, though you need to replace them every 2-3 monts because the tip will start to fray. do you also use one of the portable waterpiks for travel or work, I use a SPAMTRONIC SPAMSONIC SPAMONAIDE SPAMSTER SPAM SPAMINATOR one that runs on 2 AA batteries and helps a lot!

*edit* how come when I wrote the company brand it says "spam" instead?

CountessDeSangre

#13 Post by CountessDeSangre »

quiggle wrote:I also use the waterpik with the orthodonitc head, though you need to replace them every 2-3 monts because the tip will start to fray. do you also use one of the portable waterpiks for travel or work, I use a SPAMTRONIC SPAMSONIC SPAMONAIDE SPAMSTER SPAM SPAMINATOR one that runs on 2 AA batteries and helps a lot!

*edit* how come when I wrote the company brand it says "spam" instead?
I don't know but it made me laugh!

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

catgyrl

#14 Post by catgyrl »

Not sure we're allowed to use some brand names on here. That made me laugh!! It sounds like Rob Schneider's character "Copy Boy" on SNL. He used to do that to people's names. :lol:

AM21

#15 Post by AM21 »

That was pretty funny! That made me think of the Monty Python skit about Spam! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!