Swelling between teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetembraceable

Swelling between teeth

#1 Post by sweetembraceable »

I have noticed my gum is a little swollen between my left lateral and center incisor. Is there some sort of infection or is this just a passing thing? I brush 3 or more times a day. :?

tackybrackets

Re: Swelling between teeth

#2 Post by tackybrackets »

Did you recently have a gap between those teeth and it closed up? that will cause irritation of the gum and its normal and should go away. Also when you brush your teeth do you brush really rough? if so id back off and brush more gently because the rough brushing can also cause that irrititation in the gum. if it doesnt go away id call your dentist (not ortho) and they can see if there is possible infection or concern. good luck!

ArchWired28

#3 Post by ArchWired28 »

It might be because of the movement. It should go away, but if not within 2 weeks and/or getting worse, ask someone to look at it.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

DrJasonKTam

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Brushing 3x a day may still allow for an infection to occur. Please make sure you floss between your teeth and up into the gums. Swollen gums is often the result of plaque or food stuck beneath the gumline, an area that cannot be cleaned by your toothbrush.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

sweetembraceable

#5 Post by sweetembraceable »

The center incisor is pushed out quite a bit due to thumb-sucking as child, so maybe it's being shifted back into line? It doesn't hurt or gotten worse, it just looks like the gum is lower in that corner.

It's so tight between those teeth, I have a lot of trouble flossing there and in other spots. :oops: All the more reason to have these braces! Thanks!

bushbaby

#6 Post by bushbaby »

I'm having the same problem and my ortho said its because I'm not flossing or brushing those areas well enough, so I am assuming its a minor infection of some sort. It doesn't really hurt but its a bit inconvenient.

kellyb

#7 Post by kellyb »

i have this issue too. at my last adjustment my ortho told me to brush around the gumline abit more and if it bleeds, brush it even more. i have been doing that for the past couple of weeks and it seems to have improved alot.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

sweetembraceable wrote:The center incisor is pushed out quite a bit due to thumb-sucking as child, so maybe it's being shifted back into line? It doesn't hurt or gotten worse, it just looks like the gum is lower in that corner.

It's so tight between those teeth, I have a lot of trouble flossing there and in other spots. :oops: All the more reason to have these braces! Thanks!
Try Glide Threader Floss if you aren't already using it. It slides between teeth much better than standard nylon floss.

kellyb

#9 Post by kellyb »

i need to try the glide threader floss too. recently i bought some oral b superfloss and i am struggling to get it between some of my teeth. i used it twice and gave up so have gone back to the regular oral b essential floss.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013