Elastics and Dry mouth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drgnchsr36

Elastics and Dry mouth?

#1 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Have you guys noticed that your mouth or lips seem drier with elastics?? It seems that way to me.. but maybe I still haven't quite adjusted to it yet.

klobird

Re: Elastics and Dry mouth?

#2 Post by klobird »

Hey Drg---Ya, I finally asked for non-latex elastics because the rubber ones were soooo bad, as far as drying and rubbing.
The non-latex elastics are much better, but still for some reason, I am thirsty constantly right now. It's really, really
annoying....

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Ahh, I'll ask for those next time. Lately, I haven't been as good as I should wearing it. I've given my mouth a break during meal times....

Thanks klobird! :)

Hope you're staying hydrated!! I hate that feeling of being thirsty and dry.. it is annoying. I drink a ton of decaff. tea during the day.

Marigold

#4 Post by Marigold »

Yes. Waking up in the morning is the worst. Feels like my mouth is full of cotton. I've been rinsing with ACT Dry Mouth before bed and that helps a little, but it's still bad.
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

tackybrackets

#5 Post by tackybrackets »

so i just learned from my dentist that if you use a mouth wash like listerine with alcohol in it, it will serioulsy dry your mouth out. So maybe stay away from listerine with alcohol. Use Listerine zero (no alcohol). lol I do listerine rinses on purpose because i seem to have plenty of saliva flow and it helps to keep it all to a minimum =) Good luck and drink plenty of water!

drgnchsr36

#6 Post by drgnchsr36 »

thanks! I wasn't using mouthwash with alchohol.. but that's a good call!

BraceFace2o1o

#7 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I am back in elastics again (non latex) and here comes the dry mouth! My mouth seems more dry since having braces anyway, but when I'm wearing elastics it's even worse :roll:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

klobird

#8 Post by klobird »

I switched to non-latex and they are better--not great, but better---I found out that rubber (latex) absorbs water....that's got to be part of the problem, don't you think?

drgnchsr36

#9 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Hmm, that sounds like it!!

I'll have to ask about that in Oct. That would help a lot. Thanks :)

drgnchsr36

#10 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I just called the ortho and they're sending out the non-latex ones.. so I'll compare between the two.. only thing is that the new elastics will be a greater strength, so I might stay with the latex ones.