Experiences with wearing a power chain?... I see no changes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tackybrackets

Experiences with wearing a power chain?... I see no changes

#1 Post by tackybrackets »

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum. Got braces about 4.5months ago at age 22. I had a question for those of you that had or currently has a power chain. Any forum i read on here about power chains dicusses the pain it causes and the quickness of peoples gaps closing with it. I oddly enough have had no pain or discomfort after having mine put on 5 weeks ago on my uppers. I also have had no changes in my gaps. I'm kinda worried they wont close with the lack of change in 5 weeks with a power chain. I have my next adjustment in a week and there wasnt any talk about removing my power chain at this adjustment. Is there different kinds of power chains or something that will close the gaps better? Anyone thats gone thru this I would love it if you post a message about your experience. It may help me understand it all better. Thanks guys for reading my concerns :)

TinkB

Re: Experiences with wearing a power chain?... I see no chan

#2 Post by TinkB »

At your next adjustment, they will probably replace the powerchain. It only keeps it's strength for about 4 weeks, I believe.

I am not sure what kind of gaps you are having closed. Mine is for my 1st premolars that were extracted. Those kind of gaps close about a 1mm a month. I only have soreness for a few days and everything feels normal again.

I have also had a section of 4 front teeth with powerchain to close small spaces. That just made my teeth feel a little sore and tight when I flossed.

Try not to be discouraged and give it time. :D
Metal brackets & 4 bands on May 12, 2011
4 Premolars Extracted on May 20, 2011
Fully braced on May 25, 2011
My sentence - 24 to 30 months

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39348

tackybrackets

#3 Post by tackybrackets »

TinkB
Believe it or not i actually have all of my teeth, including wisdom teeth. needed no extractions and i still grew up with nearly 2mm gaps between all of the front four teeth (if that makes sense, i dont know all my tech terms as of yet). Weird right? Lol nearly every tech that has done an adjustment on me will exlaim "you have all your teeth, and with room to spare!" haha can get embarrasing.
But i do hope your correct in giving it time and a stronger power chain. Of all the things i wanted to change i really wanted to see my gaps disappear!

ArchWired28

#4 Post by ArchWired28 »

I have never had a powerchain, but I can assure you that they will close your gaps! Since you had no extractions, it would make sense to me to assume that your teeth are just not that easy to move. They will put a stronger powerchain next time, and that will for sure produce movement. Don't worry, the gaps will be closed!
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

DrJasonKTam

#5 Post by DrJasonKTam »

There are various strengths of powerchain. It will vary depending on the distance between each link, the colour you choose, as well as the manufacturer. If the correct powerchain is placed, the space will close, but is often not noticeable as you are looking at it on a daily basis. Keeping your tongue out of the spaces will also help them close more easily.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

BraceFace2o1o

#6 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

My Ortho has made a 'powerchain' out of wire (like sometimes he uses a wire ligature instead of a rubber one) and I've had one of those for the past 2+ months (replaced the other day). It's to close a 2mm (I'm guessing the width) gap between my lower front tooth and the one next to it, I thought because it was made out of wire it would be stronger than a powerchain but it didn't seem to make 1 bit of difference to my gap in 2 months! When he replaced the wire chain on Wednesday it felt really tight and I had quite a bit of discomfort and today I can already see the gap is ever so slightly smaller, no one else would notice just me. So fingers crossed this gap starts closing soon! Even though I get confused as to why it didn't budge in 2 months with the wire 'chain', I am confident the gap will be closed eventually... especially since I have at least another 11 months to go.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

tackybrackets

#7 Post by tackybrackets »

Thanks all! I do feel considerably better knowing its a process and the gaps will eventualy close. I think i'll still bring it up with my ortho and be sure that he soon changes my power chain to something stronger. Anxious to see changes lol =)