I have tmj

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

julieo

I have tmj

#1 Post by julieo »

I have been fearful/avoident of braces for 20+ years although I knew that my lower teeth needed intervention. For the last 6 months or so, my left ears burns so painfully that I am awakened several times nightly. Last week, during sleep, something in my jaw gave way and I could not fully open or close my mouth. A friend said that braces are the most likely solution. At 45, I hate to think that this is the case. Please advise

Huggypillow

Re: I have tmj

#2 Post by Huggypillow »

Hi,

everyone is different and i'm sure you know that, I suffered with very very bad tmj prior to having braces. I have been braces lower for 3 mths and tops for 1 1/2 months. I have noticed a big difference since. for the better.

I was told because none of my teeth were in the right position I have overtime stretched the muscles on my right side causing the joint to slip which is the big pop noise i would hear.

i still had this 2 mths into treatment but gradually as my teeth have shifted, along with chewing my jaw has slowley been re trained and the muscles are working better.

4 mths in i can open my mouth wide and i dont have the popping/crack noise i can feel to some degree that my right side is more stable when i open.

a few moths into braces was still ugly, but my ortho said that it was still happening due to the re alignment and they were attempting to function where they should but not quite there yet.

This is only from my own experience, and tmj is not the only issue it was just a bonus that bracez helped to resolve, braces alone for tmj is 50%-50%. it sounds like you might be going through what i did.

basically my ortho told me to stop opening wide to see if it was still there. yes it did happen during the night for me too. i was advised to massage my cheeks and jaw before opening which helped as the muscle settles while static.

again this was specific to my situation.

i hope in some small way i help you.

hellosonic

Re: I have tmj

#3 Post by hellosonic »

Hi,

I also had TMJ before I got braces. Last summer I got my impacted bottom wisdom tooth out, and ended up with a very bad TMJ. I went to a doctor and he was scheduling me around to different oral surgeons. It looked like they were just gonna create a mouthguard for me. The appointment was scheduled for about a month later. I was so in pain and helpless. All I could do at that time was to watch those jaw exercise videos on youtube. It did help a little. Then, I took a risk and made an appointment with a chiropractor (I read some sucessful TmJ stories and their resolution was chiropractic). After a month of doing chiro treatments (4 weeks - 3 days a week). I would say my TMJ was completely gone. I cancelled my appointment with the oral surgeon, and went to get braces one day after my last chiro visit (I had planned to get braces long time ago, but the whole plan was delayed becuz of the TMJ :D). While I got my braces put on, I was actually worried that my jaw will be locked again since I had to open it for a long time, but surprisingly I felt no pain or anything. I hope this help !!