In PAIN!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

belistic10

In PAIN!

#1 Post by belistic10 »

omg my mouth hurts :cry: i am abit worried as one spot i am very sore (feels like a huge ulcer) is near my very back lower molar but the pain is on the inside gum near my tongue. This spot feels swollen but i cannot get a very good look in the mirror to see what it is as its so far back! I have no idea why that bits sore since its not on the side where the brackets are :? has anyone had anything like this in the beginning?? I am getting a couple of sore spots on my cheeks too from the metal, doing saltwater rinse and using wax but so far it just hurts :(

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: In PAIN!

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Hey I've had the SAME thing happen on the lower left hand side there was a spot where it was like that and it wasnt where the brackets touched my gums. Don't worry.
Jenn Medeiros

tennesseeditto

#3 Post by tennesseeditto »

belistic10 wrote:omg my mouth hurts :cry: i am abit worried as one spot i am very sore (feels like a huge ulcer) is near my very back lower molar but the pain is on the inside gum near my tongue. This spot feels swollen but i cannot get a very good look in the mirror to see what it is as its so far back! I have no idea why that bits sore since its not on the side where the brackets are :? has anyone had anything like this in the beginning?? I am getting a couple of sore spots on my cheeks too from the metal, doing saltwater rinse and using wax but so far it just hurts :(
I used zilactin-B to numb a sore that developed around a lower molar. Put it on with a Q-tip. However, my dentist said sores and poking wires means an adjustment needs to be made so perhaps you need to call your dentist?

BracedSurgeryStudent

#4 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

My ortho gave me some of that. But I used Oralbase that I had from my oral Surgery.
Jenn Medeiros

belistic10

#5 Post by belistic10 »

tennesseeditto wrote:
belistic10 wrote:omg my mouth hurts :cry: i am abit worried as one spot i am very sore (feels like a huge ulcer) is near my very back lower molar but the pain is on the inside gum near my tongue. This spot feels swollen but i cannot get a very good look in the mirror to see what it is as its so far back! I have no idea why that bits sore since its not on the side where the brackets are :? has anyone had anything like this in the beginning?? I am getting a couple of sore spots on my cheeks too from the metal, doing saltwater rinse and using wax but so far it just hurts :(
I used zilactin-B to numb a sore that developed around a lower molar. Put it on with a Q-tip. However, my dentist said sores and poking wires means an adjustment needs to be made so perhaps you need to call your dentist?
well i have only had them on 6days?! and the main sore spot is not even on the side of the brackets and wires :( i do have a bit of a sore right cheek from one of the metal bits rubbing on it but its not getting any worse so far.

belistic10

#6 Post by belistic10 »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:Hey I've had the SAME thing happen on the lower left hand side there was a spot where it was like that and it wasnt where the brackets touched my gums. Don't worry.
oh thankgod its good to know someone else has had the same thing. it really hurts!! i think i will ring them first thing tommorrow just to check though incase they want to see me or anything as they said first adjustments not for 12weeks :shock:

belistic10

#7 Post by belistic10 »

dont have any dollars at the moment to go find anything from the chemist either :( bills have wiped us out this week :( so gonna have to wait till wednesday.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#8 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

If you have regular Hydrogen Peroxide afround put a Q-tip and dip it in there nad apply it to the sore it helps, but you should defaintly ring up the ortho's office.
Jenn Medeiros

crooked rory

#9 Post by crooked rory »

Belistic10, I had that happen after like 3 days and it was awful. I ended up going out and buying "Baby Oragel" teething gel. Your profile indicates you have 2 young children, so you may even have it at home already. It worked well for me, alleviating the pain, but not numbing everything. Hope you feel better soon.

belistic10

#10 Post by belistic10 »

thanks everyone, i rang them today and they want me to come in and get everything checked. they said they may need to shorten a wire on my lower right side too as i told them that is cutting into my cheek a bit :( i cant get there till wednesday so will have to hold out till then. She didnt know why the other side of my molar is sore without seeing it so i hope they can help me as that is the worst spot i am in pain.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#11 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Good thing you gave them a ring. :) I had a wire pop out of the back thing that holds in place and had to cut it at her request. Before my last appointment my top wire pocked out and (kinda does now) and rips against my lips at the end because I smile wide. But I have not had anymore troubles with the braces cutting my mouth, I did last month because they intubated me for surgery you know out the tube down my throat to help me breathe, and it was pulling the right side of my lip down over my braces because the tube is rather heavy and it scrapped and ripped up the inside of my mouth. and that only 3-4 weeks after sjut getting the braces but your skin will toughen up mine did. :) everything's fine right now with my braces and I do not have to go back until Dec 1
Jenn Medeiros

belistic10

#12 Post by belistic10 »

its good to here a positive that it will get better soon! i am just trying to hang on and then things will be a bit easier! ouch that sounds painful what you had happen!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#13 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Yeah it was pretty painful but its over now and glad its over and done with.
Jenn Medeiros

drgnchsr36

#14 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Yeah, anytime you feel pain in the back .. probably a wire poking. I didn't call my ortho and man, I paid for it. I had a huge sore/hole... from my top wire shifting. It was an easy fix and if I knew it was the wire, I would have gone in right away -- thought it was my bracket rubbing.

So, be aware of that in the future!!

belistic10

#15 Post by belistic10 »

thanks :) feeling a tonne better now, the mouth rinse they gave me helped alot after a few days and now that spot isnt sore at all :jump:. they said it was just gum inflammation. wasnt from a wire or anything as it was on the opposite side. i think the tongue thingy they put on when getting the braces on cut my gum a little and got a bit infected, as i felt some pain from that thing but couldnt really say anything at the time :lol: