Tongue thrust wins

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BrAcEfAcE4547

Tongue thrust wins

#1 Post by BrAcEfAcE4547 »

My post from October 28th: "Got my braces yesterday. I spoke to the Dr about my tongue thrusting issue. As a teen (first time in braces) I was such a bad tongue thruster that when I got home from school in the afternoons and tried to put my retainer back in it had to be PUSHED in because my teeth had shifted so much during the day. Needless to say, as a teen I decided that the best way to deal with that was to stop wearing the retainers altogether.
So the ortho tells me that tongue thrusting in adults is such an established pattern that it is almost impossible to correct by retraining. I am thinking, "Then why am I doing this at all if they are just going to get forced back out?" Apparently his view is that as my teeth get out of the way my tongue will have the room it needs to rest in a more normal position.
Long story short I ask him if there is something that we can put to help remind me to place my tongue in the correct position. I am thinking a little bead or such which will serve as a reminder... He tells me there is a prong they can put on the back of my front two teeth but it is uncomfortable. I tell him go for it. OMG. It is like tiny pins poking the tip of my tongue a million times a day (which only goes to show how bad my tongue thrusting was). Well I can tell you it works. My tongue is exhausted from the effort of trying to stay away from the evil thing. The only safe place is the roof of my mouth where it is supposed to be.

It is very hard to swallow with my tongue up in the place it is supposed to be. I seem to be avoiding it as much as possible. I am going to drown in my own spit"

:shock: Well less than two weeks later, I take ALL OF THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!!! In the 12 days that I have had my braces, my tongue has managed to spread those prongs so that there is a nice space for my tongue to spread out quite comfortably and rest firmly on the back of my two front teeth :cry: So much for boot camp... Now I don't know if I am doing MORE damage as far as pressure on my front teeth or not. I suppose that I should call the ortho and see what now except I feel kind of embarrassed about it. :oops:

Cassandra

Re: Tongue thrust wins

#2 Post by Cassandra »

Maybe the ortho can re-position the spikey things? Sounds like they were doing their job at first.

JennyLaughs

#3 Post by JennyLaughs »

I can understand why you would feel embaressed, but it's not like you are TRYING to do this. Maybe the ortho has something else in his bag of tricks to help your stubborn tongue :D

BrAcEfAcE4547

#4 Post by BrAcEfAcE4547 »

Thanks guys... I am not sure why I feel embarrassed :( but I am going to go ahead and call them tomorrow. I almost want a cage or something that totally prevents my tongue for being able to touch my front teeth at all. I wonder if they have that sort of thing. Like something hanging down from the roof of my mouth or something... I really thought I had it licked (no pun intended lol)!

kbp22

#5 Post by kbp22 »

Hi there...I've been 'lurking' on this board for a while and have gotten a ton of helpful information in the process, as I've been in braces for about 6 months now (I just turned 43)...and your post is what finally inspired me to join! I too am a tongue thruster and I am SO afraid of having all my time and money spent in braces -- for the second time, and for the *EXACT* same reasons as you -- go to waste.
I told my ortho I wanted/thought I needed the "torture spikes" and he looked at me like I was nuts...I take the tongue thrust much more seriously than he seems to, but I guess it's my $6k investment I don't want to see go to waste down the road......I want to correct the thrusting habit so much and I have been reading about different techniques; unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a speech pathologist who could help me so I think the torture spikes are my only hope. I can, and do try to be aware of my tongue position as much as possible during the day, but I know I do it in my sleep...I wake up with my tongue SMUSHED against my teeth...ugh!!
I hope your ortho can hook you up with some kind of new and improved tongue stopping apparatus!!!

BrAcEfAcE4547

#6 Post by BrAcEfAcE4547 »

http://www.falsafiortho.com/tongue_thrust.asp

These might help us but I am not sticking with them at all :cry:

kbp22

#7 Post by kbp22 »

Oh my gosh.....THANK YOU! Yay! This is just the kind of thing I've been looking for online but all I'd been able to find previously were sites where you had to buy / pay for something...
I've read (and it makes sense when you think about it) that the problem can't really be corrected until the open bite is corrected...otherwise every time I swallowed food would come out of my mouth, ew. Since I am in the 'leveling and aligning phase' with the braces, my front teeth are even more forward than they were pre-braces, and without kind of sucking on my own tongue, I can't keep my lips together without strain. But these exercises look like I can try doing them starting now to kind of limber up and train the muscles. Then once I start with elastics, which I am told will be very soon, and my bite is as fixed as it can get without extractions which I refused to have done, I will get the torture spikes.....or at least, that *was* the plan, before I read your post, ha ha!

I've also seen a different kind of tongue training appliance with a bead or something that stays out of your way as long as your tongue is in the right position, but if you go for the backs of your teeth, it swings down and your tongue runs into it...

Thanks so much!

BrAcEfAcE4547

#8 Post by BrAcEfAcE4547 »

I am gonna ask about the bead. is there a link or image that i could show my ortho?

kbp22

#9 Post by kbp22 »

Ok
It's called the Galella Tongue Habit Appliance. I'm not yet able to post links, but try a web site called orthodontictechnologies dot com (/docs/products) - it has a good description of why it's supposed to work, etc.

There's also another similar looking thing called a Blue Grass Roller which has a cylindrical roller rather than a round bead behind the front top teeth - not sure if that's the only difference?

The thing that appeals to me about these besides of course the lack of pain is that you're going to fiddle with the bead/roller and that might actually help strengthen / re-train the tongue to be where it's supposed to.

The thing that concerns me is that without the pain factor, I might just smush my tongue against the appliance in my sleep, which is still tongue thrusting....

Let me know what your ortho says -- would be curious to hear. :)

Labguy

#10 Post by Labguy »

Not sure if this helps anybody or not but I routinely make both fixed and removable tongue thrust appliances, for pre and post treatment--I'm just not sure if they are usable during treatment. Whether fixed (soldered to molar bands) or removable (an attachment to a hawley retainer) they involved a metal "gate" protruding from the palette or, as was mentioned, a blue grass roller--a bead or tubing on a metal bar to give your tongue something to play with. Many years ago, instead of a gate, I had orthodontists ask to leave the prongs open and sharp (ouch!). I'd ask your orthodontist.