How often are your archwires changed w/Selfligating brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jamsmak04

How often are your archwires changed w/Selfligating brackets

#1 Post by jamsmak04 »

I got my braces put on Sept 6th and am loving the changes and am so excited to get the new archwire. My appt is Nov 28th so its coming up quickly. Cannot believe I have been in braces for over 2 mths already. I have noticed many people going for adjustments much more frequently but also noticed that sometimes its just to check the wire etc. My ortho only books an appt wfor when he knows he can change the wire and I live 1 hr away. He says a archwire change every 12 weeks is the norm, does that sound right??
Braced on Sept 9/11
In-ovation C uppers
In-ovation R lowers

stepher7

Re: How often are your archwires changed w/Selfligating brac

#2 Post by stepher7 »

I also have self-ligating brackets (Damons) and I've had a wire change probably every 10-12 weeks. My adjustments are usually that far apart and I think I've had a wire change at each adjustment so far (I've had 3, 4th is next week). The first wire is just to sort of wake your teeth up and get things moving, that's why it's so thin. They get thicker as you go along and I guess more stabilize everything. I think 12 weeks is a pretty average time frame!

ArchWired28

#3 Post by ArchWired28 »

I have self ligating braces, and all I can tell you about an archwire change frequency - it depends on your needs. There is no specific rule set forward on this. My top braces were installed about 5 months ago and I never had a wire changed on the top, while my bottoms are on the 2nd wire, although they are only in for 2 months. My issues that are being fixed now are with the lower jaw mainly, so when that is done, maybe top will get more attention.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

microbrew

#4 Post by microbrew »

I guess it really will vary from person to person and their individual case. Since getting mine on in early August I've had 2 adjustments and each time im pretty sure i got a new wire. I started with a 13 then went for a 14 and last adjustment (two weeks ago) i heard something about an 18. Maybe theyre trying to accelerate the treatment time? Who knows, i guess each ortho works in there own way. For what its worth my adjustments are spaced every 6 weeks and i have damon metal(top only for now). Cheers

Chuck1026

#5 Post by Chuck1026 »

jamsmak04,

We are on the same schedule! I've had Damons since 9/6 and my first followup is 11/28!

Like you, I am wondering what lurks around the corner in a couple of weeks (besides a wire change). Maybe we can compare notes after our visits.

Chuck